Touch as external storage drive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by chainprayer, Aug 19, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

I used my old iPod as an external drive but I can't seem to find out how this can be done with my touch. Any suggestions?

2. HKeleher macrumors newbie

Unfortunately you can't without jailbreaking as far as I recollect. Even then most of the apps I've seen are mostly methods of using ftp rather than a USB-like drive option (which would be awesome.)

With SSH and WinSCP you can move files back and forth wireless (as well as some of the aforementioned/hinted apps) but it's not nearly as practical as a USB drive.

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I hope this isn't a threadjack, but does this mean that files saved on an iPod Touch (from Safari or Mail, for example) can not be easily transferred to another Mac? For example, if I receive pictures in an e mail and I choose to save them, I would then have to do the same thing on my desktop or laptop Mac later on?

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Let's say you recieve an Email and save the photo within on the iPod touch. When you connect the iPod to your Mac, the photo won't sync to your Mac automatically. But when you open iPhoto, you'll see the iPod as a device in the source list of iPhoto and you can import the photos from there.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

7. reubs macrumors 68000

I didn't know that. That actually kind of sucks. I wish there was some way to get DLed files from the Touch or the iPhone to sync directly to a Downloads folder that was actually standard to the software architecture.

8. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Damn. I just bought an iPod Touch 32GB thinking I would be able to use it just as I've used my iPod 20GB as an external backup drive. I can sort of see why Apple did this for the iPhone because of their big security-phobia but it sucks that they are destroying functionality. I would not have bought the iPod Touch had I know this.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with music and video files, even the 32GB really isn't large enough...

Flash drives are too cheap these days, just get a dedicated one and you don't have to worry about it...