Touch Bar Disabler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rsg1010, May 4, 2017.

1. rsg1010 macrumors member

Just found this tool that disables the Touch Bar. I'm not sure if someone would utilize this but this maybe of some use to those who need this option.

Not sure how safe or useful it is. Please don't flame me as I'm not endorsing this app and don't know much about it but thought I would share with others as I stumbled across it.

Here is a link with more info:

https://github.com/HiKay/TouchBarDisabler

2. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Given that the TB replaces the traditional function key bar, disabling the TB will remove all function keys, right? That will cause issues of usability I would think.

3. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

I haven't got a tb model in front of me however, correct me if I am wrong, the tb can be disabled and all traditional "F" keys restored. When I say restored, I mean displayed at all times if that is what one prefers. I simply do not understand the persistent negativity surrounding the tb..I think it makes clever use of the oft ignored "F" keys and expands possibilities...seriously, I just don't get what the problem is????

4. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

If you hold the function key then the Touch Bar is replaced by the traditional function row. And in System Preferences you can make specific apps always display the function row. However, I don't believe you can make the function row appear in all apps at all times without adding every single installed app to the list in System Preferences, which isn't ideal.

5. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

I stand corrected. I thought the “F” keys could be assigned as the default display at any time, every time. Even still..a set of keys, rudimentary to many, not only remain fully intact but now have become “the smartest of the smart keys” which = “A much higher degree of personal customization” …yep’, that’s awful! Guess the evil empire that Apple has now become has changed, thereby, forcing this upon us. How could they betray us like this? I mean what kind of twisted corporation makes us love something only to later betray our very personal and intimate one on one relationship with them by stripping away from us all that we have come to love. Guess that means that they have now become, "the man". Therefore, "the man" is trying to hold us down!! Geez, what would SJ's think!!

Sumbitches!!

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

You can for some apps, per Apple Support...

For some apps, you can make the function keys display permanently in Touch Bar:
    In System Preferences, choose Keyboard.
    Click Shortcuts.
    From the left sidebar, select Function Keys.
    Click the “+” symbol, then navigate to the app and select it.
    Now when you open or switch to this app, Touch Bar always displays the function keys.

7. vista980622 macrumors 6502

From the Github Page (Emphasized):
    • Toggle between enabling and disabling Touch Bar
    • Remaps Brightness down to Ctrl+1, and Brightness Up to Ctrl+2.
    • Remaps Mute to Ctrl+8, Volume Down to Ctrl+9 and Volume Up to Ctrl+0.
    • You will be guided to turn off System Integrity Protection before using the app. TouchBarDisabler does not disconnect iBridge from your system. Therefore, Apple Pay, Touch ID and FaceTime HD Camera continue to work.
    • Localized in English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Japanese.

[​IMG]

8. dyn macrumors 68030

There are 3 options for the default layout of the strip when you have the Fn key set to display F1-F12:
    1. the factory default: show the apps own controls plus a small set of system controls (which in fact is called "control strip"); this gives you all controls and if you want to expand the control strip you simply tap the arrow button.
    2. the old layout: the entire row is used for the system controls (aka control strip); so you have all the brightness, volume buttons plus media keys
    3. something new: show only the apps controls; this will only show whatever controls the application has defined. If there is no support for the touch bar then all you get is the esc key, the rest of the bar will be empty (which would actually save some power).
    The other options give you the option to only switch between app controls and system controls, you don't have F1-F12 keys at all.

What you can't do is something you used to be able to do: have F1-F12 as the default and use Fn to switch to the system controls. This is a setting that only really makes sense when you are running any OS that isn't macOS/OS X. I'm not sure if the drivers for Windows in boot camp enables the touch bar to have F1-F12 by default.

9. Gav.Winters macrumors member

If you want to do this long-term why not just sell it and buy a non TB. The constant negativity surrounding the Touch Bar amazes me, especially considering this is only the beginning for it.

10. jerryk macrumors 68020

It needs to map escape all the time. It that in there some where? Some text editors are tied heavily to the use of the escape key.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

No need for that since esc is always there (although in case of Spotlight it is named "done" instead of "esc", the functionality is exactly the same).

12. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Where can I buy a 2016 15" non Touch Bar MBP?

Would love to!