Touch Bar in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -BigMac-, Oct 27, 2016.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

first thing i thought of.

There is now no more physical keys.
    I imagine it will take months for Apple to issue out a bootcamp update to accomodate this change.

As I use Bootcamp for gaming, this is a huge burden to have to look down on the touch bar, to press a key, as i wont be able to 'feel it'.

Anyone else thought/worried about this and the effect on Bootcamp?

2. mklnz macrumors regular

Slightly worried, but I'll probably only get the 13" and won't game on it in portable mode much.
    Will hope the Razer core works with the new MacBook Pros, and when it's docked with external graphics I'll probably plugin an external keyboard anyway.

3. SVTM macrumors member

SVTM

I rarely use Bootcamp anymore but I'm curious to see how Apple handles this. I think it will just display a standard set of keys while in bootcamp that won't be customizable.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

5. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Let's hope so.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Given that Windows apps will not have native support, I don't think the touch bar will be of much use. The best they'll do is have a driver that turns it into F keys or some standard function keys. Perhaps some 3rd party will create a driver/app for Windows that lets you do a little more with it. But contextual menus in apps is out of the question.

7. GregInOz macrumors newbie

GregInOz

I'd hope it just defaults to the standard esc and function keys when not being app contextual...if that's the case maybe they could get away with doing very little for bootcamp.

8. zzzachi macrumors member

one hope would be that the touchbar displays the standard esc and function keys without any additional bootcamp drivers.
    but i m not very confident that apple really cares about people using bootcamp or windows in general on their machines. i wouldnt be surprised if it is just black, and you end up with a laptop without esc key.

i wish they would accept that win10 with the touch integration is beginning to be more innovative than macos.
    macos is not prepared for touchscreens at all right now.

9. agazoo macrumors regular

agazoo

Right, and what about Ubuntu under VM ... that could be handled by VM itself I guess

10. leman macrumors 604

You'll just have a set of normal keys, as if the touch bar was not there. Windows has no APIs to control the TouchBar anyway, so there aren't that many options.

11. zzzachi macrumors member

either the touch bar has some software built in, that displays the esc / f-keys when not overriden by an app/os,
    or you ar f**ked without bootcamp drivers there and the touchbar will be black without esc / f-keys at all.
    (of course that would then need upgraded bootcamp drivers, which we dont know if they care about)

12. zzzachi macrumors member

apple is really committed to it!
    they even build a touchbar on the roof of their new building!