Touch Bar : is Apple telling us to stop dual-booting MBP into Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SarahKirschbaum, Oct 27, 2016.

1. SarahKirschbaum macrumors regular

Touch Bar : is Apple telling us to stop dual-booting MBP into Windows?

I just can't picture how that Touch Bar will work when I boot the new MBP into Windows.... will it just show up as conventional function keys?

2. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

It will likely be an addition to the bootcamp software and just display function keys or the machine specific keys like brightness and volume. There will be no app support since no windows app will be designed for it.

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Apple has always supplied Windows drivers for any special hardware included in the Macbooks, I doubt the touch bar will be any different. It'll likely just permanently display either the F1-F12 keys, or the Volume/Brightness buttons, with the Fn key toggling the F1-F12 keys.

4. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

permanent function keys seem dangerous for OLED Touch Bar....
    I assume OLED is the same as AMOLED?

AMOLED is notorious for burn in. (I have two Samsung Galaxy
    Note 5 and one S7 edge with moderate to severe burned-in
    screens as reminders :( )

5. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

We will see how the touch bar in general will age. Even on the mac side it will have at least a permanent escape key...

6. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

There will be drivers with BootCamp. If not, then yes, that's probably what they are telling you now.

7. bbates123 macrumors 6502

I'm more concerned about that large trackpad in Windows.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

I can't see that being an issue

9. Macalway macrumors 68020

Windows start button, function keys. With keypad option.

10. jdmar2004 macrumors member

jdmar2004

I was curious about this too but only need windows for one work related application now. Luckily there has been a push by my employer to make everything compatible with a mac. Soon I probably won't even need windows which will be so great.

11. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi has seemingly told a customer it will display function keys — presumably traditional F1-F12?

Read this: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/28/using-touch-bar-with-boot-camp-windows/

12. bbates123 macrumors 6502

Because my experience with running Windows on a Mac is that the bootcamp drivers aren't as good as the Mac OS drivers at ignoring errant palm rests. Ultimately I loaded a piece of software called "Trackpad ++" which helps but it's still not as good as when you're in native Mac OS. I fear that this effect will be even worse with the larger trackpad/more opportunity for errant palm rests registering incorrectly.

So far so good on the Mac side but unfortunately no Bootcamp drivers for the new rMBP yet so I can't load Windows yet to test.