Touch Bar Priority?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by syan48306, Jun 13, 2017.

1. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Is there any way to designate the priority of the touch bar display? For example, I want iTunes to stay on the touch bar when music is playing even if I click away from iTunes similar to how the FaceTime call stays persistent on the touch bar even if I click to safari.

I find the touch bar tries to shift to whatever you're working on or have selected and for the most part, rather than looking and using the touch bar, I've already got the app up and it's easy to just use the app on the screen. I don't need to see a mini tab on the touch bar from safari when I got all the tabs right in front of me. What I REALLY want is to control the song when browsing or to control the video I was just watching on VLC when I'm tabbing through tabs on safari.

It just seems like OS X needs an always on top priority system for the touch bar.

2. maroony macrumors newbie

maroony

The software BetterTouchTool can do something like this. You can completely configure the bar by yourself and per App.

3. syan48306 thread starter macrumors 6502a

syan48306

I gave that program a whirl but it doesn't seem to be able to do what I want. For example, when I'm playing a song, I can push the equalizer or stat button next to the brightness to get the iTunes scrub bar.

Touch Bar Shot 2017-06-14 at 7.01.20 AM.png

This is great for when its up and it stays up as the iTunes scrub bar while I do a few things such as click through finder or iMessages but it doesn't seem to be 100% persistent. If all I needed to do was click this button to get the screen and it stayed up 100% of the time, I'd be able to just live with it.
    Touch Bar Shot 2017-06-14 at 6.59.50 AM.png

However, for random reasons, like typing in this text box, the system will decide to switch to this view again. Now I can click the little icon next to brightness again to pull out the scrub bar but why do I have to keep on doing that. I just want to be able to flip through my songs in the background while I work on other things.
    Touch Bar Shot 2017-06-14 at 7.02.34 AM.png

The problem with the touch bar is that it's too unpredictable. It sometimes flips to different screens without warnings and other times it doesn't change. The behavior is inconsistent and not configurable.