Touch Bar = The end of the dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abaganov, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Abaganov macrumors regular

Having a button on the touch bar that opens up all your apps and show them on the touch bar just like the dock

that's a pretty awesome use of the touch bar and can clear up expensive screen real estate space

here is an app that is already doing it

https://hazeover.com/touchswitcher.html

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

I wonder how it does when you have several dozen app icons. On the screen you make them really tiny so they only take a couple of rows.

3. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

Good question , any touch bar owners can download this and try it out?

My guess that it will be same as the emoji bar, that you can just scroll it over to see more

4. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Cute, but I still find it easier to flick my finger, which is already on the trackpad towards the dock. If you set it to auto-hide with zero presentation delay I think it's still going to be faster than repositioning either of your hands to get to the TouchBar, not to mention having to look down at it.

5. chabig macrumors 68040

The video says that an advantage if this is that you don't have direct access to apps without having to cycle through them. When using Cmd-tab on the screen you don't have to cycle through apps. You can move the cursor straight to any app and it'll open directly.

6. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

This would only be useful for people who actually use the dock as an app launcher; namely, those who don't use or aren't aware of launching apps from Spotlight. (I.E. This is good for people whose knowledge and comfort level with Macs and perhaps computers in general is not great, or for people who intentionally use the Dock for one reason or another.)

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

8. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

I do think a lot of users are using the dock , or at least having it on the screen

9. .max macrumors member

.max

Developer here. It scrolls.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 23, 2016 ---
    You need to move hands from the keyboard to use the trackpad. In terms of accessibility imagine switching directly to particular app by pressing two nearby F* keys.

10. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

Does it only show running apps or it can also shows apps that are not running and you want to launch? and if so , is it possible to customize it just like the dock?

11. .max macrumors member

.max

It's just an alternative for the Command-Tab for now (only running apps). Given the feedback I've got elsewhere it's worth adding some Dock-like features.

12. Abaganov thread starter macrumors regular

I see , great job so far for sure.
    and yes adding some dock like features will be really awesome.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How do you uninstall it? If you try and move it to the trash, it won't let you because it is open. It doesn't show in the Force quit menu either.

Edited to add: Finally got it to uninstall. Just wanted to be sure it could be done without problem.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Many still use a desktop and/or laptop in closed lid mode.

Honestly though I use spotlight to open apps more than dock anyway.

15. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Cmd + Space, type in app name, is still faster than mouse/trackpad and this touchbar.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not all of the apps respond by opening, when you press on the respective icon. All of the touch bar icons disappear, if I press on one that doesn't open the app.

17. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

I rarely use spotlight. Almost every app I use, is on my dock. When in one app, MUCH easier to use my mouse (which my hand is already on) to select another app on the dock, rather than using spotlight and typing the keyboard.

This app has potential for sure. It's going to take people like the Dev to make the touch bar better.

18. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

No. ;)

How about you just right click the dock separator and enable Hiding? :rolleyes:

19. Kafou33 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I don't understand how can spotlight can be a better way and faster than just cliking on the icons on the dock? Maybe for the apps that are not on the dock it is a good way but for those on the dock... Can you explain me how to do this?

Thanks

20. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

I have my dock set to hidden, same as the menu. So I get the full experience regardless. My dock can also get quite messy so I still think it's quicker for me to mouse down and select than scroll through some apps. Nice idea though, glad we're getting a start on TB uses this early.

21. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

It is so, so much faster. You hit command + space and then just start typing "wo" for Microsoft word, Spotlight finds word and you hit enter and it pops up.

I would strongly suggest that you give this a try. I don't even use the dock anymore (except to access the trash - does anyone know a good way to do that without the dock?)

I remember when I first started using Macs I would spend a lot of time finding the best position and size for the dock (right or left vs bottom is also way better) but after getting used to spotlight it is just so much better that I don't even think about the dock anymore.

22. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Saturn1217 answered this. Check their reply. Pretty much what I would've said.

If you're a decent typist you don't even look at the keys.

For this you have to take your eyes off of the screen, click an icon to bring up the options. Select an option

VS

Command + space, type a couple letters, enter.

23. Kafou33 macrumors newbie

I will try

24. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

The biggest appeal for spotlight.... is for those that have hands on the keyboard at all times...I dont.

So Spotlight takes 10x longer than my right hand on the mouse. Only times i actually use the keyboard is stuff like this, forums... the rest of the time I have my right hand on the mouse, and the left hand isn't on the keyboard unless i need to do some Cmd/Option/Shift/Control+Mouse action.

MX Master mouse, 1 button press for mission control and i swap to an open app faster than any of you can type.
    I only use the trackpad on my MBP when i'm away from home really

My PC keyboard get used even less.. And I game a lot. Gaming mouse and a G13.