Touch Bar vs Battery Life. Which would you choose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starfyre, Oct 28, 2016.

?

Would you prefer battery life over a touch bar?

1. Touch Bar

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Battery life

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

The new touch bar is nice on the newest Macbook Pro models, but one thing to keep in mind is it is a screen, it is a display, and yes, it draws power and sips on it just like any other device. Provided Apple provided accurate battery life estimates where you could pick between a model without touch bar (but lower battery life) and a model with touch bar with higher battery life (at least an hour). Which would you pick?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Remove the display and you'd get even better battery life!

Seriously OP, it's a slightly loaded question as there aren't any figures to say one way or another. But seeing as the 13" model without the touch bar is rated for the same battery life (10 hours) as the 13" that has it, I'd say power consumption is negligible.

3. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

I think that is fishy, since the non-touch bar has both a weaker CPU (15w instead of 28w) and also has a higher battery capacity (56whr vs 49whr). To ontop not have a touch bar, how could they both be the same 10 hours?

To compare, the old 2015 rMBP 13" had 74whr!

4. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68020

Starfyre

Obviously Apple wants you to think that the 13'' model without the touchbar has the same battery life, otherwise people would be complaining why Apple put a touchbar in in the first place.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you need to choose, the Macs with the touch bar have a rated all day battery, which I think is pretty phenomenal.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yet your statement of "at least an hour" additional battery life is nothing short of pure conjecture.

EDIT: wait, I reread your original post and… I don't think that's what you're saying. I genuinely don't understand your question. Never mind. Ignore me. :oops:

7. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

If the difference in battery life that we're talking about is an hour, then definitely the Touch Bar. The battery life on today's laptops is so good compared to a decade ago that I would not consider it a factor when buying a new computer until we get to the 20 hour battery life range in the distant future.

8. motime macrumors 6502

Not as phenomenal as the surface book or xps 13. It's hilarious how apple actually managed to reduce battery life when the rest of the world is going in a different direction.

9. RHD 42 macrumors member

RHD 42

The touch bar is pointless and will not work with most software.
    It's a toy a pro machine does not need.
    I would rather have better serious specs.

10. athletejmv macrumors member

To add to your argument, if you compare the one with the touchbar and one without, the MBP 13 without actually has a larger battery in it as well.
    http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

11. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

The touch panel is OLED, and those things draw very little power. The co-processor might actually draw more.

It does seem likely the non-touch one would have much better battery-life though, given the lower-watt processor and bigger battery. Saying they are all 10 hours does seem odd... we should see some reviews in the next week or so though so I guess we'll find out then...

12. Ries macrumors 68000

Neither, better screen, higher resolution. 16" MBP in same body.

13. fred911 macrumors newbie

fred911

all day battery life is accurate if your workday is 4 hours long. battery life is between 4 hours and 7 hours max if you actually use it ( no gaming i hate computer gaming = silly ) .
    you can extend battery life to 24 days on standby or even to 10 hours if you do not use it for 5 hours in between. what you cannot do with it is working for 10 hours.

as you can see you can claim anything under the right assumptions and conditions.
    my battery has 4585 mah according to the popular battery health tool.
    internet browsing is forecasted to 4.5 hours
    movies 2 hours
    music 4 hours

the touch bar does not do anything to me because i rarely use apple software and it does not work on any other.
    the touchbarless version is on the way and i will test it under similar conditions and find out what the battery life looks like. it should be close to 10 hours.

14. RHD 42 macrumors member

RHD 42

I just want a cheaper 15" or 17" WITHOUT a touch bar.
    I don't have, nor plan to buy, any software this will work with.
    It's a pointless and expensive toy.

I just want a really hi spec hardcore pro macbook for 3D rendering and video editing and effects.