Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Hey everyone,

Thought I'd repost this here:

Has anyone tried using Logic with touch screens running Touch-Base to create a full-featured/low cost DAW control surface?

If the Touch-Base driver/ST2220T combo works, then one could buy two of them and use them as a touch screen mixer in Logic. Even with the $220 price tag for the software and $300/ea for the monitors, that solution would be far superior to any DAW control surface (Euphonix, Mackie, Behringer, etc.):

• No stepper motor sounds inherent to motorized faders
  • Access to every mixer parameter directly--no assigning "v-pots" or faders
  • No wear and tear on faders and pots
  • WAY, WAY cheaper.

I could see having two conventional monitors at eye level for plug-ins and the timeline window, etc., and two touch screens on the desk at a low angle as a 48+ channel touch screen mixer. Compare that in price to a Mackie MCU ($999) + 5 extenders ($699/ea = $4500 total). With more features, and completely silent operation.

What do you think?

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
After 700+ views, not one comment?

When I saw the demonstration of the ST2220T online for the first time, my very first thought was that it might make DAW-based work more productive. When I found those YouTube links confirming that it could at least be done, I was surprised that more people hadn't tried it.

When I look at all of the control surface options for mixing big projects, anything decent is wildly expensive for what you get. Still, people buy them because they make work more productive, and in a studio time is money.

Assuming the hardware and software can be configured for reliable and responsive operation, I suppose the only other major drawback to the Touch-Base + ST2220T set up is you can only control one parameter at a time, like a mouse, whereas it is possible to move several faders at once with a dedicated piece of hardware like a Mackie MCU, Behringer BCF2000, Euphonix Artist, etc. I, for one, could live with that limitation (as I already do using a mouse) if the payoff were instant one-touch access to every mixer function on a 48+ channel onscreen mixer.

I have to assume that most people viewing this thread think this would be just a glitchy gimmick and not a real solution for expanded DAW control. Is that right?

Jahmir

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
This is what DAWs will look like in the future

Obviously this is the way to go, I say give it two years.
It's either gonna be win 8 or iMac touch.
I honestly hope Apple will become the standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.