touch battery display indicator innacurate?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hayakuu, Dec 3, 2007.

1. hayakuu macrumors newbie

I was playing gpsphone for about a good 45 minutes, when i realized i only had a quarter of my battery left, and i had a near full charge! So i thought this was suspicious, so when i went home, i was going to completely drain my battery, and charge it again, for extended battery life. I left SSH and WiFi on, to quicken the battery drain,also i didnt leave it on sleep mode. when i realized it took almost 2-3 hours to drain, to 10%, its still on right now. Is there a way to fix the battery life indicator? Cuz its seriously messing me up. This happens while i surf the internet, or play videos, music etc...

I didnt actually let my ipod touch's battery fully discharge yet, but does anyone know if this actually works Or will this damage the battery?

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I think it predicts how much you got left depending on the memory and cpu used I don't really know.

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

iPods update the battery indicator dynamically based on their load. The app you were using could have been a big drain on the CPU, causing the battery to drain more quickly and making the iPod think it would die soon. AFAIK, the indicator is based on time left based on current usage and not an actual percentage charge left.

4. hayakuu thread starter macrumors newbie

i see i see, but should i let my battery completely discharge or drain, like say once a month? Then fully recharge it again? meaning draining it until the point where the touch wont turn on unless i charge it.

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It shouldn't hurt it, but there isn't a need to as long as you use it regularly.

6. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Haven't had an issue so far, but I've noticed since the jailbreak on 1.1.2, my battery icon sometimes flips between the fluorescent lime green icon and a regular flat monotone icon.

7. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Are you kidding? That is normal, there are two of every icon in the Status Bar depending if you are in an application or not.

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

the old nickel metal hydride style batteries could develop "memory" effects, prompting the necessity of draining completely periodically.

the new Lithium Ion batteries have no memory effect. There is no need to drain them at al.

9. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Nope, I jailbroke my Touch 10 minutes out of the box so I didn't know what the default behavior was... :)