Touch: Buy or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mpb2000, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

So, I currently have a 4 year old 60 GB 5G ipod. I have been waiting to upgrade to a touch with the same capacity. I was also looking forward to the camera we all thought the touch was getting. Not that it was going to be a huge deal, but I would have liked a 3.2 MP camera with an easy to use interface with iTunes/iPhoto (my crappy cell phone camera sure doesn't have that). So, my dilema is this: Do I hold onto my current ipod, or buy the 64 GB w/o the camera now? The touch has been out for a while...when are we going to see a major product change, like we did from the 5G ipod to the 1G touch? It looks like the nano only got a video camera, which I'm not particuarly interested in, so are we ever going to see a still camera on the touch? I really can't imagine they would keep the camera out just because the iPhone has it, but it's possible. Could it be that the "technical difficulties" kept the touch from getting the camera? And even if it had gotten the camera, would it have been video only, like the nano? Thoughts?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are some threads on when the Touch might get a camera. I would say that there is a chance that we could see an update to the iPod Touch in six months or so, but definitely not in the one-two months some user through around.

If not, you get to wait a year.

3. pakkman781 macrumors newbie

Coming from a 5th gen, I'd say go ahead and upgrade.

But for anyone that already has a touch, hold off, there's not much to see here.

4. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

My guess is January or February.

I may end up purchasing the sweet new nano to tide me over :rolleyes:

5. Link2999 macrumors 6502

March-April at the very least.

6. omnomnomno macrumors newbie

Perhaps at WWDC, and then new colors or something that september.

7. P140897 macrumors member

Maybe January at Macworld 2010

8. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder if this could be something like what happened with firewire on the macbooks. Right when I was ready to buy a macbook, the pulled FW, so I quickly bought a refurb black MB. Then they came out with the new MB with FW back in, what, 5 or 6 months later? I'm not that disappointed there because I got a deal on the phased out MB, but with the ipod, it's not like the touch had a camera and they're taking it out. I can't buy the last model to make sure I get a camera.

It just seems odd about these rumors about the technical difficulties with the ipod touch camera. Over the last couple of years, we've pretty much known ahead of time what was coming for these events. The rumors have been pretty reliable. So the question is, if there were technical difficulties, does apple fix them, put the camera in, and release a new touch in 6 months or do we never see a camera because of the iphone? I can't imagine apple keeping the technology out. AT&T might not want the touch to get a camera because it will certainly take away customers, but apple doesn't care. They make more money on touches than phones.

9. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Another thing. What about the video of the touch with a camera on it? And the photos of the broken down touch? Not to say they couldn't be fakes, but when was the last time we saw something that concrete that turned out to be fake? With the MB line w/o FW (and the MBP that came out at the same time) we had photos of the unibody cases, etc and knew everything ahead of time. It just seems very strange that there was so much strong evidence pointing towards the camera and then...nothing. Don't know what to do.