Touch Camera

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Schrepzilla, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Schrepzilla macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there going to bring the camera feature to the touch??

2. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

Do you mean in future updates?
    New revisions?

3. rusty. macrumors member

rusty.

Highly dought it without a second generation ipod touch

4. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

i doubt it even with a new revision or second generation.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's an iPod, not an iPhone. People seem to think that just because the iPhone has something, the touch should get it as well. I don't think that we'll be seeing a camera because it would most likely result in a thicker device.

6. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I don't really see a need for a camera. However, what the iPod touch could really use is a speaker. :)

7. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

Yeah, but it would be sweet... A camera is all that I think the touch is lacking.
    Well, I do also wish they would have also added a
    dictionary app. But i guess we can't have everything .

Ang

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i really think people want the ipod to be exactly like iphone but without having a phone service mandatory. heck i would and i have an ipod touch. only benefit of the touch id that you can have 16gigs

9. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I don't think the touch should have everything the iPhone has. I just think that with the way I use my touch, I would get a lot more use out of the photo feature as well as have more fun with a camera.

I do think that the touch needs to be different enough that people will want to buy the iPhone.

Ang

10. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I nearly bought an iPhone even though I wasnt planning on using the phone service. But the limited GBs changed my decision.

11. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I've thought about this myself and think while we will most likely never see a built in camera it may be possible to make an accessory webcam that plugs into the dock connector. In theory it would be quite simple since the device runs OS X + plus a bit of luck that apple didn't remove camera drivers in the kernel. Basically you would need a generic usb camera supported by the os with its usb leads going into the usb leads on the dock connector. Just like any external device or accessory for ipods do.

Then once we get flash support in safari it could be used along with wifi to stream onto services like ustream.tv.

12. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

I'd be ok with just a still camera. I'm not worried a about streaming.
    I just want it to be easier to get pics in my contact area and photos in my photo area.

13. pab277 macrumors regular

i really doubt they will ever bring a camera onto the ipod touch. Just because it looks like an iphone, acts like an iphone, and does some stuff an iphone does, doesnt make it an iphone. A camera on a cell phone is expected, but on an ipod? i dont think so. but who knows, i could be wrong, but this is just my opinion. Adding a camera to it will truly make it compete with the iphone and apple wants both products to sell fairly, not 'fight' each other.

14. ridli macrumors newbie

Unless this hypothetical camera could compete with an actual 5 mega pixel and above point and shoot - I say leave it out. I'm not saying that I want something to compete with Canon's latest DSLR or what have you, but another cheap phone camera wouldn't be useful on a device like the touch.

I think we can safely assume that most people with a touch have a cellphone as well, and that cellphone already has a camera on it. Unless you can preform leaps and bounds ahead of your cellphone camera, there's no reason to try and cram the same thing into your iPod.

15. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

well duh how would they put it in the same generation?

16. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

There have been much stranger suggestions....

17. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

...and that it doesn't cost you $70/month to play your music of course.

18. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

The only thing holding me back from the glory of an iPhone.....

19. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I don't want crappy camera on my touch. I have very nice Nikon d80. so what can I say? speaker? I think it is needed. why? in clock section, you got alarm. it is pretty much useless even touch has tiny micro speaker inside. it's not enough. who can wake up with that sound? it's also nice to share music or video or podcast with somebody without headphone.

plus, I want ichat and SMS together since touch is wifi capable.

20. nlivo macrumors 6502a

I would love a camera on my iPod. I have wanted this even before the iPhone was announced at the start of 2007. I think it would be great. It's possible that it'll come to the touch at it's next revision. Possible.

21. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

It would be nice, but I am not going to buy another 400 dollar piece of tech just because it has a camera.

22. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

It's a portable audio and video player. Not a camera or a cell phone...

23. JAT macrumors 603

It's not supposed to be an alarm clock at your bedside. It's just an alarm to warn you of something during the day. Doesn't it link up with the calendar? That's its purpose.

Geez, people. You can't have every single device known to man all in one. There are going to be caveats and downsides if they try to cram too much in.

Now, what I'd like is to go ahead and make it a little thicker like the iPhone. Put in twice as much memory with the additional space, or 4 times. Not the expensive 32GB stuff like crammed into NAND drives, just more of the 8GB sets like already in the Touch and Nanos. (actually, that would probably give you space for your speaker, too)

24. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

I totally agree with you akonradi. For some reason people assume that anything the iPhone has the Touch should have too! I mean after all, the Touch is an iPod not a phone. Therefore, no need for a camera. lol. :rolleyes:

25. David G. macrumors 6502a

I would prefer them in the opposite order of what you put down. No speaker but with a camera. Of course I know that the iPod touch is not an iPhone so I'm not complaining.