Touch Case Woes

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by elpasi, Jan 14, 2009.

1. elpasi macrumors newbie

I'm tired. Tired of cases that don't work right or are terrible.

I've bought (and subsequently returned) two iPod Touch cases because of defects.

First, I bought a RebelTouch. Many months after the recall. But the vendor send me one from one of their old and faulty batches. I had to return it. I was told there was no point in me having a replacement from them if their entire run was part of an old set with the fault with the polymer. So I gave up on it because in the UK there aren't too many case stores that don't charge exorbitant shipping fees.

Second, I got a protective cover from incase. It didn't feel that protective, the box was squashed in the delivery process (warping the case), it didn't fit well in my iPod dock, and I just screamed and sent that one back too.

So here's my situation. I want a case. A nice and protective but grippy case. I want it to be able to dock into a Universal Dock, either with a slider (so I slide the bottom half off and dock it) or just an in-box dock adapter like the RebelTouch had. I also need one I can buy from a reputable vendor in the UK. But I don't really care about a screen protector, that's what the glass and the lip around the edge of most cases is for.

But nothing seems to fit those criteria. I see a case, then I google it and find the slider part is too loose and just slides off (no good for prolonged periods of tap tap) or the case is thin, unprotective and expensive.

Question for you all: Have you had any bad case experiences, or do you know a case which blows away all others (if it fits my criteria it'd be nice =p)

As for me? I guess I'll keep searching for my elusive ideal case.

2. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

you could try the incase slider

http://goincase.com/products/detail/slider-case-cl56200

Its the favoirte case of many people, itsmemorphious, one of the top youtube channels for iphone cases rated it the 2nd best iPhone case (behind the Rebel). I'm guessing it's also very good for the ipod touch 2g aswell.

3. elpasi thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking at the slider, but I wasn't sure about how well the two parts hold together: I saw a coupla youtube vids and neither of them has an audible 'click' as the two parts were joined. This made me think it would be like in a couple of other case reviews where the lower fifth might slide away from the upper four fifths, such as (See original post) when playing tap tap, as I hold the case at the bottom to have my thumbs in the right position.

4. Ramsav24 macrumors member

Not sure if you were looking for a plastic or silicon case but I just got the Speck PixelSkin a few days ago and I'm loving it. It looks nice and the texture isn't to drastic, just a nice pattern which is very grippy and it has yet to collect any dust between being thrown in my backpack, pocket and car. I'm not sure about docking since I don't use one. Just a thought. :)

5. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

6. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

7. elpasi thread starter macrumors newbie

I have known someone who, without a dock adapter, managed to make the metal fitting within the dock actually snap off due to both the weight of the ipod but also because it was easier for them to accidentally push it backwards when undocking because of the gap behind it... so yeah, it snapped and I don't want to snap mine...

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Wow....I've never come close to doing that but that has crossed mind. I wish more case makers would include a dock adapter.

9. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

believe it or not BODY GLOVE makes a fantastic one for about $19 , I saw it at walmart the other day but INCASE is definately a good choice they add alot of protection, fit great and they won't scratch the inside of your ipod because they have rubber inserts to cushion against the chrome back

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

convieniently my case came with an adapter :)

11. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

12. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

Go for the incase slider. The top and bottom are connected with friction, and the bottom shows no sign of being able to come off accidentally.

13. Roadking macrumors 6502

I have a Griffin Wave case. The bottom slides off to dock the ipod.

The cap has an interesting design to it that prevents it from accidently falling off.

14. slieu92 macrumors regular

scratch my back

hello, i read some reviews on the incase slider from the online apple store, and some say it scratches the back of the ipod touch, did you or anyone else with the case experience that?

15. elpasi thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Does it really matter, if all you can see is the case?
    2. I assume this is for people who don't clean their case when they slide it off, and just let dust and debris accumulate before sliding it back on, making scratches where the dirt has been pushed into the phone by a tight case?

16. nohite macrumors member

I've own the white incase slider for 2 months now. I've taken the ipod in and out of the case for at least 10 times and I don't have any scratches on the back of my ipod. just give it a quick wipe before you put it in.

Not only does it not scratch the ipod, the case doesn't scratch itself, nor does it attract any dirt. it still looks brand new - shiny and white and totally clean!