Touch disease - replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gee912, Dec 6, 2016.

1. gee912 macrumors newbie

I have just had my 2 year old iPhone 6+ replaced under AppleCare due to a fading screen corner.

The replacement phone has the touch disease that I have been reading about. The worst is in the morning when the alarm goes off and the phone is not responding to touch, even after 3 or 4 resets, the problem is still there. Then magically it will start working again.

I contacted AppleCare and they will send another replacement.

It's interesting that this problem would present on a new phone from Apple. I checked the serial number online and it looks like the phone was manufactured in October 2016, so I am guessing it should be new!?

I thought I would post this to see if others had experience with new phones having this same problem.

2. Matthew.H, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

The board design is exactly the same in the newer phones as it was in the old ones. It seems Apple cheaped out on not using underfill for the chip and a metal shield instead of the sticker that's used in the 6 and 6 plus.

Seeing as it's a replacement phone just keep swapping it until you get a phone your happy with. It's part of the reason you pay for AC+ after all.

3. gee912 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it's interesting that the 6+ I had for 2 years never once had this problem.

4. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

What causes the problem as far as I can tell is that the phones flex to much under normal use which can cause the Touch IC chip solder to crack. Because Apple don't seem to be checking refurb logic boards very well it's quite likely that some faulty boards have ended up in refurbished phones meaning the issue can occur out of the box for some customers.

5. Jtradar macrumors member

Jtradar

Apple uses new phones when replacing with Apple care . I had my 6 replaced a few times over 2 years every replacement was brand new .

6. gee912 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought.
    It's also interesting that I posted about this on the Apple support communities website with the same title and they removed it. Sent me an email saying I posted a poll or a petition... WTF? The post was the same as above. Maybe they don't like this issue getting attention.

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Apple does not replace phones with new phones. They call them 'service units', which is basically a phone with a new outer shell, battery, and screen. The other components could be new or used/repaired.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That's because the phone you've received is a phone that previously had Touch Disease, but was cheaply repaired and developed the issue again.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

How do you "know" it was brand new?

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Some have been fortunate to not experience issues. Fortunately for you.

11. antnee macrumors regular

I am on my 2nd replacement and it has touch disease as well.....sigh.

12. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

As I said earlier:

That's because the phone you've received is a phone that previously had Touch Disease, but was cheaply repaired and developed the issue again.