Touch display integration in OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sir Hannes, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Sir Hannes macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using my iPad via Duet as my first touch monitor for OSX. In the next weeks I will definitly buy a touch display as this is my way to work. Sadly Windows user are happy about that touch displays are integrated. For OSX I find only information about a) Apple products don't b) for Apple you have to buy expensive software addons c) no idea.

What's your point?

2. bensisko macrumors 65816

Touch is not native in macOS. By default, touch only works as a mouse input (i.e. using Duet, you can move a window around or do other functions you wouLd use a mouse for - to do anything more, you need to purchase Duet’s software add-ons).

This is the big debate over on the iPad forums (people want macOS on the iPad, but they don’t realize macOS isn’t built for touch).

At the end of the day, if you want touch on macOS, you need to rely on one or more 3rd parties.

3. Sir Hannes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. As third-party I only know touch-base. But their price around 100€ is way too much for me. Can you tell me which other ones you know?

4. bensisko macrumors 65816

The only ones I know of are hardware manufacturers that bundle software with their hardware.

5. Sir Hannes thread starter macrumors newbie

I read about that at some places in the internet. Do you know if Acer is one of the manufactures? Which one do you know?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

OSx is based on *NIX which was developed way before touch input. It is not easy to make OSx use touch input.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you have to communicate with the computer by touching the display, the Mac ain't for you...

8. bensisko macrumors 65816

Most touch screen monitors I have seen will support macOS at a basic level. The ones that add 3rd party functionality are higher-end and are meant more for things like kiosks. I went to a conference back in October that had a lot of this stuff but I can’t find the literature I picked up - will post when I find it.

The other route to go would be the Wacom Cintiq, but, again, may be more than you want/need.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2018 ---
    it’s not the OS as much as the UI. They could add Touch UI elements into macOS, the question is would it be worth the investment given the iPad. I would imagine Apple is working on it’s next-gen OS as we speak (not saying it’s an immenant release) which will probably incorporate touch, along with many other ways of interacting with the OS.

9. Sir Hannes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for your postings.

@bensisko:
    I am on your line (direct translation german-english, hope you understand), as I guess it's just a software implementation coming in the future via updates. That means, why not having an touch monitor with basic settings? As I've seen and read so far, it's like using a mouse, without swipe functionality or similar. So it's a question of time to get a software update, but still I can use my hardware, as there should be no new hardware/software standard coming. Remember, right now all these touch displays working great with Windows, so the companies/manufactures won't change their complex product line just for Apple which have just to program some drivers in software.

The Wacom is way too much for me. I just want to help my right hand to chill from time to time. These "mouse hand" is not ideal for me as a musician.

I hoped to find a company with 3rd functionality which included the pricey software from touch-base.com e.g. Why? If I spend 99€ right now for 10-fingers functionality and in three month I read the news about having this free in the VeryHighSierra update - I wasted too much money in software so far.

Best
    Johannes