Touch 'dock'

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AlexisV, Feb 25, 2008.

1. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

I received a new 16Gb iPod Touch yesterday (or the iPod Prod as I like to call it).

I just have a quick question - the bottom four applications on the main screen sit on a flat mesh background. I thought they sat on a nice reflective Leopard style glass shelf?

According to this review, it's the iPhone that has the flat background, and the touch which has the glass: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/17/an_in_depth_ipod_touch_review.html&page=2

I have installed the latest software update, but it was on the mesh background out of the box.

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

They changed it on the touch with the latest software update (1.1.3).

3. AlexisV thread starter macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Aww. The reflective glass looks miles better.

4. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I guess they changed it cos of the Customizable Home Screen. (The refelection would of been hard to emulate)

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Yeah, a lot of people complained about it. I don't mind it either way because I never had a touch prior to this one, but I would think that the glass would look better as well.

Perhaps the SDK will allow for some cosmetic improvements.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

There were many posts about this issue on the forum. I also prefer the old dock look and don't want my Touch to have an iPhone look. But with the updates I am still at a loss as to why there is even a dock to begin with when you can move the icons around now. It kind of makes having a dock pointless.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The dock stays the same on all three home screens. That's the only reason I can think to have it.

8. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

In my view, there is no need for the iPhone or iPod touch to have a dock graphic anymore. Presuming people coughed up the mere £12.66 for the January Software Update -- the ability to move applications around the home screen, and remove items from the dock at your beckon call, the functionality of a 'dock' is now rendered redundant. The dock was originally a 'differential' factor between the iPod touch, and the iPhone. Now that Apple are treating the whole 'touch' platform as a 'platform' and not segregating functionality between two products, in 1.1.3, they just evened out the overall aesthetics of the platform.

Also, as noted above, why have a dock, when applications are now able to be removed from it? - it's literally a waste of space.

iPod touch and iPhone are no longer two individual products. It's called Apple's touch platform -- and once the SDK hits the developer scene, you can bet your house, it's going to be a BIG.

R-Fly

9. mgrad92 macrumors newbie

I've got about three Home screens set up on my touch, and with Notes, Calendar, Contacts and Music in the dock I can get to them in one touch, regardless of which Home screen I'm looking at. It's actually pretty useful. I'm not sure what use the dock was before the 1.1.3 update made multiple Home screens possible, but it clearly has utility now. I admit, I don't care much whether the dock looks like a mesh screen or reflective glass -- tho' I guess I'm glad it doesn't look like an actual dock, with wood planks, pilings, seagulls, etc.

My silly question: Why would the ability to remove applications from the dock make it less useful? We've been able to add and remove icons from the OSX dock as long as there's been OSX -- isn't that specifically what makes a dock useful?

10. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

While you can have up to nine "home" screens and in theory 148 different applications. there are probably only three or four that you consistantly use every day with any regularity. That's the reason for the dock. Put your most often used applications there so you can instantly find them, no matter what page might be showing.

11. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

I too prefered the reflective dock. There is no excuse for changing the dock to make it easier. As anyone who jailbroke knows that any icon placed in the dock reflected perfectly.
    I'd quite like to see the return of the iPod touch dock.

12. CVV1 macrumors member

CVV1

IDK why it would be hard the emulate...doesn't coverflow have reflections?