Touch Driving me Insane - Odd Behavour

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by racer1441, Jun 3, 2010.

1. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Well,

After finding some stress cracks on my macbook and basically getting blown off by Apple, I decided to grab my ipod touch and relax.....

At which point I found it to be behaving poorly. It has been shutting down at random, taking screen shots in bursts all by itself, and weirdest of all, the buttons seem to be flipped (The top (on, off) button now takes me back to the home screen or exits apps, and the front center button now shuts the thing off and on!

I'm doing a software restore now.

Anyone have any thoughts about this little guy?

2. JSAYER macrumors member

"Random Screenshots" sounds like Spyware but I have never heard about anything like this for the iPhone.

Was it Jailbroken? The only thing I can think was of it was a Malicious app?

3. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

Nope. I don't do the jailbreak thing. Actually, the ipod is pretty much just for music and video, so it doesn't even have app store approved apps on it!

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If the software restore doesn't fix it, it's likely hardware. If the restore fails with an error code, take a look at this or try forced recovery/DFU. If you're outside your 1 year limited or outside the AppleCare period, expect to pay for a replacement or get a new one. If you're within your first year or AppleCare, take it to a store, or call it in and tell them the steps you took. If they find no evidence of accidental damage, such as impact or liquid damage, the replacement will be free, otherwise you'll have to pay.

5. racer1441 thread starter macrumors 68000

Haven't paid for a replacement in years! I think I'll head down and shake some cages and see what happens.

6. Moocher macrumors regular

Check your water damage sensors. Shine a flashlight and look into the Touch's orifices. They should be white. If not white, search for water damage and read the tales. Mildly entertaining at times and depressing at others.

Mooch