touch dropped into water!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by burnttoast0304, Feb 15, 2009.

1. burnttoast0304 macrumors member

Hey guys,

to make a longer story short my little cousin (12 years old) dropped her iTouch into the kitchen sink when she was getting water for her fishbowl. after letting the touch sit under the sun and in rice to remove all traces of liquid now only the top half of the touch screen work.

has anybody had any experience with this with the Apple geniuses? and what the labor would be?

thanks in advance

-burnttoast0304

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

most likly the cost to fix it would be almost as much as a new unit so its probably not worth it to fix it.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

agreed it would just be best to buy a new one

4. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

I'm not exactly sure how the apple warranty goes (or is urs still covered under warranty).

but I remembered my friend dropping her phone into a toilet bowl as well.. And she fished it out and used a hairdryer to dry it (I dunno how she's gonna dry inside). And then she could get a replacement for it --> just claim that it spoilt somehow.. =X

5. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

There is a water indicator inside the iPod, so Apple will know if water damage has occurred, so I'm doubtful it will be fixed under warranty.

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I don't know any company that would freely replace a water damaged product, this is counted as user error and there for not covered by normal warranty

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

... unless the product is advertised as waterproof. But the iPod touch is not.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Thanks...

IF you bought from the apple store nothing can be done. My friend bought hers from Sam's and they replaced it when she said it fell in water... I think the lady who worked there was maybe new because they aren't suppose to. Beats me... for you I'd siggest either purchase one if you can't live without and if you can then forget about it... with the basics missing from the OS of the Touch such as copy/paste... I have already begun to lose interest in this product. I hope apple considers this otherwise I'm out.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Did you wait 24-48 hours to make sure it had completely dried out?

Otherwise you may be able to claim on your household insurance or you'll have to stump up for a new one...