Touch Gripes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by savar, Sep 30, 2007.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

No idea how the first two updates came and went without any feature fixes...so far I'm loving my touch, but there are some noticeable oddities:

1) No instruction manual. I know its supposed to be easy and intuitive, but I'm still not always sure how to do things. I feel like I must be missing some shortcuts and features. It took me a while to figure out that you could tap on the title of a web page to bring up the location bar.

2) No descriptions available on podcasts. This is really annoying. 80% of podcast episodes are named for the episode number or date of publication, e.g., "NYT World Report 10/1." Is there no way to see the description? I have no idea what I'm about to listen to.

3) <deleted>

4) <deleted>

5) One annoying thing is that scrubbing through long podcasts isn't very accurate. You can only scrub with a resolution of about 1/20th the length of the podcast, from what I've found. So on a 30 minute podcast you can only locate a particular point in about 1:30 increments.

Anyway, if I'm wrong, then please correct me. Otherwise post your own gripes. At some point I'll send all of these to Apple. I'm loving my touch, but as a software engineer I'm always annoyed when I see obvious shortcomings in software. (Another reason they should open the touch up -- so that we can all customize them how we like them.)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

As for the "immediate volume control", you do realize that while in Safari or the home screen you can double tap the home button and you get semi-immediate volume control and pause/play and previous/next. But I do agree that it would be nice to have at least some hardware based volume control built in.

edit: you can do this from the unlock screen as well, all you have to do is double tap the home button and thats it :)

3. Remixen macrumors member

about the on the go playlist, heres an nice video to show you how this works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfYhZvqsADw

Basically: Music -> Playlists -> new on the go playlist -> tap the song/songs you want

4. savar thread starter macrumors 68000

savar

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

ahh cool. While poking around I found on the go playlists too, but it looks like you have to be in the correct "mode" to actually add songs. So if you're browsing and want to queue a song you have to switch to that mode.

5. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Im guessing he did not know this, and neither did I. You have eliminated my single annoyance with the Touch. Thanks!

6. playalistic macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

the position scrubber in podcasts or long tunes is bothering me too. I hope this gets fixed in the next update!

7. savar thread starter macrumors 68000

savar

8. jepaz macrumors regular

I just noticed when I browse in Cover Flow mode while playing some music, the artwork does not go back nor change to what is currently playing unless you put it to portrait mode and then landscape to take effect the change.