Touch ID after a reboot

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Pagemakers, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

After rebooting why is it necessary to have to re-enter my password when I have Touch ID.

It can't be for security purposes because entering a four digit password is far less secure than using my fingerprint.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your fingerprint key cannot be accessed without your pass code as your pass code is entangled with the system key. Once you've entered your pass code, iOS is able to access the fingerprint key.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is for security reasons.

Finger prints can be lifted from the sensor, so, not fool proof.

When phone boots, passwords, encryption keys, finger prints, etc. are still locked/encrypted on the phone, and one of the keys used to lock-down/encrypt these items on a powered off device is the passcode. So, need to put in the passcode to unlock all the security items.

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Then don't use a 4 digit password :roll eyes: I honestly feel like :apple: should have removed the option of 4 digit passwords on devices with touchID.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I hear what you say but I don't agree about the security aspect. It's far easier to guess a 4 digit code then chopping off one of my fingers to gain access.

That said, I use Exchange with work and my company forces a complex password using uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols that must be changed monthly.

It's a real pain in the butt having to enter it on every reboot especially since iOS 8 needs so much rebooting!

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Actually, it's not, because you can only enter the wrong code a few times before the phone starts making you wait longer between codes. After ten incorrect attempts you're up to an hour before the next attempt.

So good luck with that. :)

7. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

And if "erase after 10 incorrect attempts" is set, good luck with THAT.

8. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

The point is WHY can't I just use Touch ID after a reboot?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It was briefly outlined in the second post. There's a more technical explanation within Apple's security white papers on how it works.

10. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Why would someone chop off one of your fingers if they have your phone and they have you?

11. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

12. LV426 macrumors 6502a

On devices without TouchID, it's inconvenient to have to enter a long password so often, so many users will stick with the 4-digit option.

On TouchID devices, however, there's little inconvenience in entering a longer password after a reboot. One of the first things I did on my iPhone 5s was to switch to a much more secure password, now that I have the convenience of the TouchID.

13. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I did exactly the same. Unfortunately people seem to always favor convenience over security

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It is for security purposes. The encryption keys for your fingerprints are flushed out of memory when you restart.

15. cdembek macrumors regular

Benefit to keeping the 4 digit code..... law enforcement can't force you to enter your passcode however can have you unlock via using your fingerprint. So remember to reboot before being cuffed and stuffed!

16. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I'm not saying remove the 4 Digit pin and only have TouchID, rather I'm saying remove the 4 Digit pin and have "complex" pins instead

But thats some sound advice ;)

17. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

It's a security measure. Someone could steal your phone and turn it off. I guess they just want to make sure you're there when it's turned on.

Though the idea of needing initial system decryption with your passcode to access the secure enclave sounds plausible.

18. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

19. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

You can turn off the 4 digit code by turning off the "simple passcode" option. My passcode is 10 digits.

20. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Shame there's not an option to disable the password requirement after a reboot.

21. Billy Mac macrumors newbie

Anyone who has info worth chopping a finger off for shouldn't be storing it on their phone.....

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

its even more annoying that u always have to enter the password the first time u try to buy somethin gat the appstore after a reboot like give me a break it already asked me to put it in after a reboot why ask for it again to purchase something. it makes the whole pay with touchid at the appstore redundant

23. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Using the wrong finger will force a code requirement after four attempts.

It ignores even the correct finger after that.

24. newbreed23 macrumors member

Couldn't agree more!!! I never get to use touch id to download apps because I don't typically download more than one app a day. I typically run my battery down each day and charge over night. Every time I go to download an app, it's the first time since a reboot. It's frustrating because I was looking forward to this feature and I never get to take advantage of it. Seems like a waste of such great technology. Wish this could be an option. Still not clear why touch id is all of a sudden less secure than a finger print just because I rebooted.