Touch ID and Alarms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krad, Oct 24, 2013.

1. krad macrumors member

I love my new 5s except for one thing: I've slept through multiple alarms now that I have Touch ID as I'm unlocking the phone and turning off the alarm (in my sleep or half sleepy zombie state) instead of snoozing the alarm. For now, I'm using my iPad for alarms instead but I'd love an option from Apple to turn off Touch ID for alarms. Anyone else have this issue?

2. StevesJob macrumors newbie

Use the power button at the top of the device to snooze the alarm.

3. krad thread starter macrumors member

That would be a great solution if I was aware enough when snoozing my alarm to think of it :/

4. StevesJob macrumors newbie

Another possibility would be to wear gloves at night

5. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

No problems here with TouchID and alarms.

I can lend you my cat. She's a very persistent alarm when it is breakfast time, so you won't even need your phone. LOL.

6. elizacat macrumors newbie

I had this problem even before touch ID a couple of times woke up and turned off alarm instead of snoozing so now have 2 alarms set one for 10mins after the first one - hasn't failed me yet!

7. Jman13 macrumors 68000

keep your phone in a Sena sleeve instead of naked or in a case - then you have to actively take the phone out of the sleeve in order to do anything. It is a very conscious act and wakes you up a bit.

8. Nerio27 macrumors member

The app Sleep Cycle is an alarm clock that still requires you to slide to disable it. It comes with the added benefit of waking you up within a 30 minute window when you're not in deep sleep rather than at a set time. I've found that I'm much more aware when I wake up to it rather than the regular alarm. I think it might be a dollar or two though.

9. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

Try putting your phone out of reach - near enough to hear it, but far enough away that you have to get out of bed to do anything to it.

10. elizacat macrumors newbie

I used to do that but i actually got out of my bed turned it off laid back down woke up to the phone ringing an hour later my boss yelling at me :eek: The double alarm is now my fail safe.

11. AppleWes, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Lol! Same thing happened to me when I had my alarm across the room. It's so funny how our "half awake" minds think we can lay down for only a couple more minutes with no problem.

Good tips from others in this thread on how to use the alarm better. It's so easy to just shut off and forget about it.

12. jtfish, Oct 24, 2013

jtfish macrumors newbie

I've been using my iPhone as my bedside alarm clock for two years now, and I agree that it does take a little more thought with TouchID in the mix. Simply hitting the home button during an alarm won't disable the alarm unless TouchID recognizes that finger and unlocks the phone before you can take your finger off. Because the phone is probably lying on your nightstand and because of your position in bed, you're probably not using your thumb when touching anything on the phone. One solution may be to erase your index finger from TouchID.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong about the home button without TouchID unlock not disabling the alarm. I can't recall right now what that screen looks like and I don't want to test it in the office ;).

13. elistan, Oct 24, 2013

elistan macrumors 6502a

No. I use my 5s as my alarm clock, and when the alarm goes off I have two options - tap the screen to snooze, or swipe to turn off. Touch ID is not a factor whatsoever. Your problem isn't Touch ID, your problem is being a zombie. Try putting the 5s on the other side of the room, with the volume turned all the way up.

edit - I do see that simply placing my finger on the sensor unlocks the phone and stops the alarm. Not really an option for me since I use a dock, which partially blocks the home button and makes it difficult to stop the alarm that way.

14. Mmbandedb macrumors newbie

Mmbandedb

It's crazy to me that Apple hasn't created a setting where the user can turn on or off Touch ID for the alarm clock. The iPhone has been around since 2007 and there have been only minor updates to the clock application. Yet, the majority of users rely on their iPhone for the alarm clock. I was 45 mins late to work because I used my fingerprint to what I thought was snooze. Now I have to turn off Touch ID every night just to make sure I don't turn off my alarm in my state of sleepiness. Come on, Apple. Get it together!

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

If a situation like that comes up, perhaps having a secondary (or even a tertiary) alarm might be of some help?

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Stay up all the time. Remove that pesky sleeping thing from the equation.

17. chochoice macrumors member

chochoice

Leave your phone in strange areas of your room that is still within ear shot but must get out of bed to turn it off.

18. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

You might be a good candidate for a separate alarm clock. I used walk up alarm for a little while (requires you to walk before it turns off), Sleep Cycle (detects your sleep cycle, but you're boned if you forget to set it), and CARROT alarm (insults you until you wake up - again boned if you forget it), but I eventually had to spring for a Withings Aura. There are plenty of Bluetooth alarms, but the only thing that seems to make me get up in the morning is this thing with its light, repeating alarm, and sleep cycle detection.

There's always this though if none of that works for you: http://i.imgur.com/JixhapC.jpg

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I use my phone to wake me every morning and no doubt having on the dresser, across the room, makes me get up to turn it off. No way I would keep it at bedside.

20. VetAdventurer macrumors newbie

VetAdventurer

I totally agree!!! I have had a 5S without setting up TouchID until now, but I just got a 6S with Touch and have accidentally turned off my alarm every morning this week. Luckily I always set multiple ones but I NEED my snooze button time!!! I was shocked to find no option to disable TouchID for the alarm (not sure why it's the default anyway, would anybody actually want that?!). Now I've downloaded a separate app and will try that, but I'm super annoyed.

21. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

A solution for turning off Touch ID could be to use an un-registered finger a few times before going to sleep. It would effectively turn off Touch ID until the next time you unlock the device.

22. soy macrumors member

soy

Or just tap the snooze on the screen obviously.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I do this as well.

When I used an alarm clock, it was on top of my dresser which meant I had to get out of bed to shut it off.

24. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Or... get up.