Touch ID and App store password, no prompt for download

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bcnmac, Sep 30, 2014.

1. bcnmac macrumors member

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or if I have something poorly configured.

I have my App store configured under restrictions to ask for a password immediately. However, if I use touch ID to unlock my phone I am not prompted to use the password (or touch ID) to download an app.

This seems like a serious flaw. I.e., I unlock my phone to download a game for the kid. If I give him the phone then he can potentially download more apps or IAPs.

Thanks!

2. FotoDirk macrumors member

I believe there is a 15 minute window that you device stays connected with the app-store. So every time you grant permission to download something, you can download a second item within the 15 minutes period without the need to re-enter the password or re-use the touch-id.

3. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

By default there is that window, but under restrictions you can have the prompt changed to immediately, which I have done. I know on IOS 7 every time I downloaded, or updated apps I would get a prompt for my password. Now there is no prompt.

In fact, I just tried unlocking my phone with the passcode and updating an app. No password was required.

This seems to be a bug. I'll try with a purchased app later today and see what happens.

4. The Flying Kite macrumors regular

Updating an app doesn't require a password (unless I'm mistaken and there's a setting for it in restrictions).

5. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

It's worked that way for me on IOS7 (with restrictions enabled obviously). Anything I do in the App store requires a password, even updates.

I love the convenience of the touch id for unlocking and purchasing. I don't want the kids accidentally purchasing stuff, or even upgrading apps.

6. odditie macrumors 6502

I've noticed when I am redownloading an app I've already "purchased" it does not require a password anymore.

If I'm downloading an app that I've never had before it still prompts for my Touch ID/Password. I always unlock my phone with Touch ID and I have the restrictions setting set to immediate just like you.

7. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the confirmation! I get prompted always on my ipad and iphone 4 for new apps and updates alike. Even redownloading apps requires a password (which I think it should - i.e. I don't necessarily want the kids to redownload games)

I'll see if I can replicate the same steps on ios 7 & 8 and the ipad and new phone.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

Just set the "Install Apps" restriction. The entire app store app will disappear from the phone.

9. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

That forces a restriction on me. I don't want to go into restrictions, disable, install an app, enable restrictions and toggle the different options for each app install.

Again, I'll compare the ipad with ios7 and the new phone with ios 8 tonight with the same steps and see what happens.

I know on ios 7 (and 6) each app store action required a password. If there were 4 app updates available, update all would require a password and install all 4 updates. If I updated individually (i.e. 1 app which I didn't want to upgrade yet), each click of the update button would prompt for the password.

10. Rigby macrumors 601

To my knowledge that's the only way to prevent the user from updating apps.
    I don't remember ever entering a password for an app update on any iOS version.

11. bcnmac thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I've been doing some sleuthing. Found two KB articles
    1) Use restrictions to prevent purchasing on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

"If you don't want to prevent in-app purchases or disable purchasing completely, you can require a password for downloads on your device. After you enable restrictions, Tap Require Password, then choose an option.

Immediately: If you choose this option, you'll have to enter your Apple ID password each time you make a purchase or download a free item."

2) Using Touch ID on iPhone

"You can't use Touch ID for purchases if Require Password in Settings > General > Restrictions is set to Immediately."

However, that is not true. I have restrictions enabled to Immediately and I was able to use Touch ID to purchase an app when prompted for the password.

I'm thinking way too much about this, but I just want to be sure I can hand off the phone and not leave a purchasing window open.