Touch ID and Rebooting

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by charlestx, Dec 25, 2013.

1. charlestx macrumors regular

charlestx

When I have passcode/Touch ID on and reboot my iPhone 5s a blank homescreen appears and the home button does not do anything, however I can get Siri to respond. I have Siri take me to iPhone settings and disable the passcode/Touch ID before the icons reappear on the homescreen and the home button works again. Is the normal?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No, that is not normal. When you do a reboot, it does disable the TouchID for the first login and requires you to manually enter the passcode... but otherwise everything looks the same.

3. charlestx thread starter macrumors regular

charlestx

Yes that is how I thought it was suppose to work. I have restored it once since I first encountered that problem. I am going to try restoring it again and see if that helps, I have my doubts though....

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might setting up as new and see if that helps. I know if you call Apple that is what they will have you do anyway.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

When you say the home button does nothing do you mean literally nothing or just doesn't unlock the phone. Does it tell you to slide to unlock or at least respond when you do slide and take you to the passcode screen.

6. charlestx thread starter macrumors regular

charlestx

I restore the iPhone twice, the second time I did it as a new iPhone and the Touch ID worked fine until I restored my backup on it again - then the same problem. Does this mean I have to restore it as a new iPhone and then manually upload everything?

----------

When I press the home button nothing happens, as in everything is frozen. It is a blank homescreen with only the status bar showing. I can get to Siri and tell her to take me to settings which then asks for the passcode, then I remove the passcode and I have to reboot to get the iPhone out of settings and to function normally again.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If the issue doesn't exist on a clean phone then yes something in your backup is the issue.

You can google around and see if someone has figured out a way to restore only texts, call logs etc and try that but you might have to erase that also.

8. charlestx thread starter macrumors regular

charlestx

So does this mean uploading everything individually? Apps, contacts, photos? I don't mind losing call logs and old texts.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly. You have to manually put everything back. Looks like that is going to be the fix for you.

10. charlestx thread starter macrumors regular

charlestx

Lucky me... hope it works tho, 74 apps. Time to downsize. Thanks for the help.

----------

I guess the wise thing to do is use the free 5GB of free storage in iCloud for contacts and photos and download the rest individually.