Touch ID and Space Grey on next MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kristoffer4, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Do you think we will see a Space Grey MBA with touch id this year? Touch id seems like a given at some point, but although I would like a Space Grey option I don't see them doing. Regarding touch id I also doubt that we will see it this year unless they do it on the ipad and the MBA/MBP this year. Here is an article I found about the possible benefits of touch id on a mac.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5139...o-2013-release-date-touch-id.htm#.UwTGuXi9Kc0

Also I got the Space Grey idea from here:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2014/02/18/i-want-a-new-black-macbook/

2. copa macrumors member

copa

the darker the color you want to anodize, the harder and costlier it becomes, i.e. black is the most difficult to do. I believe I once read somewhere that that is one of the reasons why the 5S is "only" offered in Space grey rather than slate black, since grey is easier to do.

I believe the primary reason for not producing colored MacBooks of any kind is that is doesn't age well at all. Anodized aluminum easily scuffs and scratches and wouldn't make for a pretty sight after some regular (read: not always super carful) usage.

That said, they'd have to switch to another material (I always thought black ebony wood would make a great fit but that's not an ecologically viable resource) or somehow improve anodizing techniques or provide a solution (coating?) to the scuffing/scratching problem so as to make the color layers more durable. Don't know if that is possible really.

3. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have an iPhone 5s and have turned touch ID off for the time being. It's kind of hit or miss for me, and in then end I just decided it was easier to enter my code on the keypad than try more than once with the sensor. I gather it works better for some people than others. I have scanned my fingers multiple times.

So I am not in any rush for this technology to come to the MacBook Air. As far as the color. Whatever... color is not one of the things I consider when choosing a computer. ;)

5. suprakc macrumors regular

I think that would be stellar. Macs have a micro bead-blasted finish prior to anodizing, which eliminates noticeable scratches, dings, and prints to the surface. A space gray option would have to incorporate the same process (iOS devices are smooth finish).

Regardless, I don't think it will be incorporated in the Mac. But space gray would be my bet.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would prefer it on the power button. It would be more seamless IMO