Touch ID broken with Apple Watch Unlock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joejoejoe, Feb 8, 2017.

1. joejoejoe, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

joejoejoe macrumors 65816

Hey

I've been using Touch ID to unlock my MBP with Touch Bar since I got it with no problems.

I recently got an Apple Watch and enabled its unlock mac function.

Since then, I've no longer had the option of using Touch ID to unlock my MBP with TB.

It's a bit annoying. Sometimes the Apple Watch unlock is slow and other times when I'm not wearing it, I just have to put in the password. Defeats the purpose.

Anyone else have this issue or a solve?

---

Removing and readding my fingerprint brought the functionality back. Let's hope it sticks!

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I have the Apple Watch and I found it also to be slow sometimes compared to touch ID. Although I like the feature on my iMac not so much on the MBP because of the speed of Touch ID. I would turn it off in system preferences, security privacy. If you turn it off I would think your Touch ID would work.

3. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

It's very strange that I can't use both. And quite annoying.

Is this by design or a bug?

Are other people noticing these issues?

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I'm able to use Unlock with Apple Watch and Touch ID at the same time. Try setting both up again?

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

oy. remember when apple products just worked?

6. xPad macrumors regular

Without fail every time with no exceptions?

No.

Both Touch ID and unlock with Apple Watch works much better, more seamlessly, does more, is more secure, and is simpler to set up than any other of the similar implementations.

These two technologies are the epitome of "it just works".

7. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

did you read my post?

touch ID no longer even shows up since i got the apple watch even though it's enabled in system preferences

also - touch ID on my mac can freeze, necessitating a hard reset of the machine which can lead to lost data from open applications

it's the ***** opposite of "it just works" hombre.

8. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Removing and readding my fingerprint brought the functionality back. Let's hope it sticks!

9. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I hope it does. For me, on my iMac sometimes it is instant and others I could type in my password faster, maybe 70% instant. On the MBP I only had a few times it was delaying but with the Touch ID very responsive so I shut off the option on the MBP.

10. xPad macrumors regular

Did you even read my post hombre?

Try it, and get back to me. Just the first sentence will get you far enough to realize your error.