Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I'd like to use my TouchID for just downloading apps from the AppStore, but I do NOT want a Passcode setup on my phone. Is this possible?

I tried a few searches, but didn't find the exact question.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > iPhone Unlock: off

But you will have to keep pass code on. If you turn off pass code then it doesn't work.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > iPhone Unlock: off

But you will have to keep pass code on. If you turn off pass code then it doesn't work.

"but I do NOT want a Passcode setup on my phone." - which is exactly what I do not want. I've head iffy things about the TouchID after updates or restores, and don't want to deal with that. It's lame that it isn't more customizable.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
"but I do NOT want a Passcode setup on my phone." - which is exactly what I do not want. I've head iffy things about the TouchID after updates or restores, and don't want to deal with that. It's lame that it isn't more customizable.

If that is what is bothering you I would not worry about like deejay pointed out and part of 7.1.1 .2 was to address Touch ID to make it better. I have been using both a Passcode and Touch ID since Nov and every OS update since I bought the phone new from Apple in Nov. and have yet to have problems.
Bottom line is you will never know unless you try it, If you don't like it then turn it off but it is none or both.

Last edited:

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
When you set it up, you need a pass code in the event it fails, or you reboot. Plus, unless you're making a purchase everyday or two, you'll have to enter your Apple ID again. A jailbreak may open up more options, and tt will open up more in iOS 8.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Just curious, but why so averse to having a passcode set on your phone? You can set it for every 4 hours which is good enough for being non-intrusive most of the time. You'd need to unlock your phone in the morning if you sleep longer than 4 hours.

(No judgment here but I can't imagine not having a passcode set to protect iPhone's contents.)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Just curious, but why so averse to having a passcode set on your phone? You can set it for every 4 hours which is good enough for being non-intrusive most of the time. You'd need to unlock your phone in the morning if you sleep longer than 4 hours.

(No judgment here but I can't imagine not having a passcode set to protect iPhone's contents.)

Doesn't it force it to be immediate?

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I'm not sure about iPhone but on my iPad Mini-R with iOS 7.1.2 (without fingerprint recognition), Settings > Passcode allows intervals before passcode is required:

Immediately
After 1 minute
After 5 minutes
After 15 minutes
After 1 hour
After 4 hours.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There is a jailbreak tweak that will let you setup custom time. I forgot what it's called and am trying to find it again. I had mine setup to not ask for a passcode to unlock for a whole year otherwise.

EDIT: It was PassTime.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure about iPhone but on my iPad Mini-R with iOS 7.1.2 (without fingerprint recognition), Settings > Passcode allows intervals before passcode is required:

Immediately
After 1 minute
After 5 minutes
After 15 minutes
After 1 hour
After 4 hours.

With Touch ID enabled, the only choice is Immediately.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Well, that sucks. Especially if you're at home and have to remember to set the passcode every time you leave.

Well with Touch ID, it's really easy..You hit the home button anyways to wake the phone, just your finger there for a fraction of a second longer and the phone unlocks. I just keep it on all the time because it's so damn quick. It takes me less time to unlock the 5s using Touch ID than it does to unlock my wife's 4s with no passcode. Having to swipe to unlock is way slower than just resting your finger on the home button for a split second longer.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Well with Touch ID, it's really easy..You hit the home button anyways to wake the phone, just your finger there for a fraction of a second longer and the phone unlocks. I just keep it on all the time because it's so damn quick. It takes me less time to unlock the 5s using Touch ID than it does to unlock my wife's 4s with no passcode. Having to swipe to unlock is way slower than just resting your finger on the home button for a split second longer.

Good to know. Thanks, neighbor. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.