Touch ID Button hinged?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keviig, Dec 8, 2016.

1. keviig macrumors 6502

My 13" Touch ID Button can only be pressed down on the right side. The left side (near the Touch Bar) is solid and can't be moved. Much like the old style trackpads which were hinged in the top, requiring light force at the bottom and strong force on the top.

Are your Touch ID buttons the same way?

2. nonm macrumors regular

nonm

All sides can be pressed , the left one is a bit harder for me

3. cmkoeln macrumors newbie

On my 15" it's the same like with keviig; you can press the button down only on the right side!

I already called my local Apple store; the told me that their two 13" Models Touch-ID-button behaves like nonm described.

Since there are some diskussions about the button feeling "wobbly", I'm asking myself, if this is "a bug or a feature"?

The employee at the Apple-Store suggested to order a new one and return my current MBP within the 4-weeks period.
    On the other hand the button is working fine and I don't need it very often.

I'm not decided, it's a 4000 € machine...

4. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

Sort of glad to hear i'm not alone in experiencing this! Mine came dented (between the glass trackpad and aluminium edge) so it's getting returned either way. Excited to see how the Touch ID button is on the new machine! No stores has display models where i live so i'll just have to wait and see.

5. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

My 13" TB is the same. It can only be pressed down on the right side..

6. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yep, I only just noticed this now, but you're right. It's hinged on the side that borders the edge of the Touch Bar.

7. cmkoeln, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

cmkoeln macrumors newbie

Interesting, so it's a feature? Maybe they used two different batches of buttons?

8. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm starting to think it might be intended. Considering it's edge to edge with the Touch Bar, having it hinged would prevent you from feeling the edge when pressing down on it.

9. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

It's the same on mine. I literally wouldn't notice it if you didn't mention it. Is it really a problem? The button works and feels good, why does it matter if it's hinged or not? It's probably designed that way.

10. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Have people became so defensive with the overboard defending of these machines that someone can't even ask a question now? SMH!

11. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no problem with it being like that. I just wanted to clarify if it was intended to be like that or not. More down to curiosity than anything else really.

12. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

No :) It wasn't a criticism, it was a genuine question.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 8, 2016 ---
    Ok :) I was like - omg, mine too! Then I realized - it's not really important :) Heh, it's like I'm expecting something to turn out wrong with all the criticisms.

13. keviig thread starter macrumors 6502

No worries!

Hehe yeah there is a lot of criticism around these MBP's, but so far I'm liking it! :) Hopefully the Touch Bar improves over time as well.