Touch ID/Face ID for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Pangalactic, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Pangalactic macrumors 6502

Pangalactic

Hi! :)

Do people have any solutions regarding quick login on iMac? I'm getting so tired of typing my password every single time I need to log in or update an App or buy something from App Store. Are there any good solutions?

2. Platifuss macrumors newbie

1) You can disable pw protection
    2) If you use an Apple Watch you can unlock with the watch

3. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Turn password login off. You can't get around updates or app buying (without compromising security, anyway). And that's why Tim Cook isn't in front of Congress right now with Zuck.

4. theluggage macrumors 68040

Bear in mind that, as well as stopping strangers from logging in to your computer (which you might not see as an issue with a home Mac) those prompts are a useful reminder that something is trying to make significant changes to the system and provides a useful line of defence against malware and your fat-finger mistakes.

Trying to be pragmatic: lets assume that you don't have filesharing or remote access enabled, and/or are behind a half decent home firewall, so fending off remote hackers isn't an issue. Your mac is reasonably secure in your home, kids don't have access, and if you haven't gone to the trouble of enabling full disk encryption and setting a firmware password then, if you're burgled and a bad guy gets physical access to the machine, you're sunk anyway - its up to you to weigh risks vs. hassle vs. individually encrypting sensitive info - so you might reasonably decide that having "$correct!horse69ba77ery#staple3961" (belt and braces, right? :) ) as a password is like putting a steel door on a tent, but its probably still worth keeping a shorter password, if only as a reminder.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Give the following app a try. It sounds like it is what you are looking for. I used it until I got an iMac and an Apple Watch. it works well.