Touch ID Flaky

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slapppy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. slapppy macrumors 65816

Anyone else experiencing this? Touch ID works the first few times after initial setup. Then a few hours later it simply will not recognize any fingers. Then I have to set it up again, and the same problems arise. Every time for several days now.

2. wsc9005 macrumors regular

It doesn't work well with wet and sweaty fingers.

3. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Fingers are dry and not sweaty or wet. Have tried other fingers within the five user settings. Always fails after a few hours.

4. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I've got the same problem. Mine worked fine for a couple weeks and then it would just stop working for hours at a time before starting again. I took it to the Apple Store yesterday and the genius had me restore and set up as new to rule out software problems. Again, the touch ID worked at first but a few hours later the problems started up again. I'll be taking it back to the Apple Store tomorrow and hopefully they'll replace it.

5. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Please update us about the replacement. I may just do that if your works reliably after the replacement. Thanks.

6. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Will do! The people at my Apple store did say that I was the first person they'd had come in with problems with Touch ID so I don't think its very common.

7. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Interesting. This guy at Forbes says its 20% failure rate... I think he's wrong. I followed some tips on how to scan and read the anadtech article. Finger should be touching the ring sensor in order to trigger the recognition...so far it's about 99 percent good for me now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...r-is-a-fail-for-20-of-users-heres-what-to-do/

8. Ann P macrumors 68020

The ring actually has a purpose? I've tried it with my tiny pinky, without touching the ring and it works just fine.

9. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Sorry for the delayed reply. I ended up changing my genius bar appointment to today. They replaced it for me with no questions asked. So far it works well but its only been two hours. I'll post back in a couple days with an update.

10. slapppy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes please...Mine has been okay so far but I have seen many post on Apple Support with the same problem.