Touch ID for Haswell iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Villain101, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Villain101 macrumors newbie

What do people think the chances are of a Touch ID sensor being included with the new iMacs when they're released? Maybe as an optional accessory to the computer, perhaps included on the Trackpads? Touch ID could be used to log in and make app store purchases as on the new iPhones.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Maybe the iPhone can be used for passwords on the Mac once mavericks is live with the I cloud password features.

3. KaraH macrumors 6502

If they ever do it for their desktop lines it would be as an optional extra. Like touch, it makes more sense on phones. I figure if someone is able to physically get in my apartment there is nothing stopping them from running a decrypt program on my password data files.

4. Ethere macrumors member

I actually like this idea. If they could include it in the keyboard, or trackpad somehow, it would be a nice feature.

5. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

No, that's a terrible idea. Do you want to give the NSA a fingerprint database of all Apple users? You know that's gonna happen sooner or later, if you have learned anything from the recent Snowden revelations. Governments and big corporations lie to the public all the time, don't forget that.

6. Villain101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Whilst I'm not thrilled by the idea that the NSA et al. have been digging through all the worlds internet trashbins like sleazy paparazzi, I will still probably not loose any sleep over them adding my fingerprints to some super secret database (if it does transpire that Apple are fibbing about keeping fingerprints safely locked on the CPU). After all I have no acts of terrorism planned so it probably won't affect me too much.

I do however like new gadgets that do new stuff because I am easily pleased like that and so I am curious about this possibility (as I'm planning on buying the Haswell iMac when it is released) and therefore wondered if the clever heads around here would have a sense that this was a plausible idea or in fact if it was utterly unlikely for some very good reason that I hadn't thought of. :)

7. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Fingerprints aren't saved to iCloud from the 5S as a security measure. They are only stored locally on the A7.

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

It doesn't need to send your print to iCloud only a unique key that has been verified by your print.

9. Mac32, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013

Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Hi there! :) You do miss the bigger picture. If you look at what's going on in Washington now, there's a lot of corruption. That's why Monsanto is able to sell it's poisonous GMOs in USA, even though they're banned in all of Europe. A French (independent!) study showed GMO corn gave big tumors in 70%+ of the female rats, 50% of male rats. Also GMO corn has 1/20 of the nutrition of organic corn. This is of course just one of many, many examples. When big corporations and special interests rule, the ordinary citizen's interests, the 99% if you will, is not looked after anymore. That's what crony capitalism does. We see the Am. government lying, instigating false wars (based on lies), IRS going after Obama's political adversaries. The Benghazi story was all lies - covering some kind of CIA weapons trade, Iraq war was all lies. The Vietnam war (Gulf of Tonkin) was started by USA attacking their own troops as an excuse to go into Vietnam (=false flag). I could go on and on...

My point is, when you have a corrupt government, it doesn't matter if you're not a terrorist. If you decide some day to combat corruption (being an independent journalist, you might be tracked down, thrown into jail and "forgotten", or even killed. (Remember Michael Hastings?) All these small gadgets are the tools of the NSA, Homeland security etc. to track you and your private information down. If you have been attentive these last few years, you know what I'm talking about.

Take Bradley Manning, who didn't indirectly kill one single person with his released information got 35 years in jail. The soldiers who killed civilians on tape weren't even taken to court or given a fine. The big banks in USA in recent years have been caught laundering billions of dollars for drug cartels, terrorists and criminals knowingly, and no one goes to jail.

Sorry for getting on the soap box here, but people has to start waking up to what's going on in recent years. USA is heading down a very dangerous path, and we have to be aware of this. We simply can't afford being naive any longer. If you think I'm exaggerating, start watching proper independent news channels like BenSwann and TheRealNews and many others (also RT is good, though they are not talking about corruption in Russia obviously). Remember all the mainstream news channels in USA are owned by a handful of big corporation. Important news that doesn't fit their agenda is censored all the time, instead we hear about "American exceptionalism", terrorism and the Kardashians.

Big corporations and governments are caught lying all the time. Don't be suprised if you hear on the news a couple of years by now: "Whistleblower informs of NSA fingerprint database collected from smart phones." Know your history. I don't know if iPhone5 will collect fingerprints, but it's a very, very likely possibility. Remember all the Snowden revelations.

And how do you know this?, because Apple says so? Hmm.. Also remember companies changes their policies all the time. Apple might not be collecting fingerprints now, but they might get a secret order from the NSA to do so 6 months down the line. An executive going public with such information could face the charge of treason and a long jail sentence. (Remember the recent interview with the Yahoo executive who said this?)

10. Villain101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, it's a morally complex world we live in, but, with due respect, this all comes off a bit hysterical to me. I follow many of these stories with interest through the British media (as I'm a Brit) and as media goes our TV news is pretty respectable. Whilst I find the thought that some data hungry government might pinch my fingerprints a rather cheeky prospect, I remain largely unpanicked by the notion. What harm is this going to do me? It impinges on some abstract liberty and I'll probably tut indignantly about it for a day or so when the next Snowden tells me about it but I'll survive.

In the meantime I will gain a little buzz of geeky pleasure every time I log into my computer with a press of my finger on a clever little sensor. It's like science fiction!

Still, perhaps I'm not considering the possibility that some Russian crime syndicate could hack my computer, steal my fingerprints, and then use them to incriminate me in various horrendous crimes. There's a movie in that...

11. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

That's true. I just meant that, at lest currently, it doesn't for security. It is already stored locally in the forum of an encrypted key so moving that to the cloud would be easy but the more places it resides the easier it would be to have security leaks.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to not have to type my 16 character long apple ID password in to make mac purchases.