Touch ID is disappointing useless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bjdraw, Nov 15, 2016.

1. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2008
    Tampa FL
    I have to say I was really excited about Touch ID on the MacBook Pro. I was dreaming about all the times each day I wouldn't have to type my password. But in reality the current implementation is almost useless. Maybe if I didn't already use my Apple Watch to unlock my Mac I'd feel differently, but limiting Touch ID to: unlocking, Apple Pay and iTunes & App Store, really stinks.

Hopefully Apple will enhance MacOS support of Touch ID to enable me to unlock the following things soon.

System Preferences

I may just have to finally break down and switch from using Keychain to using 1Password, especially since I've just about given up hope that Apple will continue to enhance it.
  2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

Sep 21, 2012
    In the middle of several books.
    Several people here have stated that 1Password works very well with the new Touch ID. Apple will get there. They do like to drag their feet with the roll outs.
  3. Antairez macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Be patient, hardware always comes first, then the software follows. So that you don't get all the developers worldwide doing the product release presentation for Apple.
  4. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2008
    I don't find it useless. In fact, its my favorite part of my new MacBook
  5. ascender macrumors 68020

Dec 8, 2005
    I think a happier and easier solution will be to find something else to dream about. Dreaming about TouchID is probably way down the list of things I'd choose to fantasise about.

TouchID integration for iTunes on the desktop would be a big part of sorting out their password inconsistencies on macOS though isn't it?