Touch ID Learns/Gets better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OVERTASK, Sep 30, 2013.

1. OVERTASK macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

Has anyone had any experience with Touch ID getting better at reading your prints with continued use? Apparently, it's supposed to slowly learn but from I have read so far on the forums and my personal experience if anything it gets worse overtime.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

I kept reading the threads about touch id not working well or degrading over time and I'd think to myself how they don't know what they are doing. Well now mine has started working 3 out of 4 times, which is a huge failure rate.

I am using it the same way I was in the beginning so I don't know whats wrong. Yesterday I was trying to use it while my phone was charging and it wouldn't register at all. Didn't even give me a try again. Just acted like my finger wasn't even there. Restarted and it worked 2 times then didn't recognize it again.

This is a bit worrisome.

3. newcastle1 macrumors newbie

I noticed mine seems to work better, but I figured it was because I was more familiar with the device.

4. OVERTASK thread starter macrumors 6502

OVERTASK

Some people have tried setting the same finger twice, with mixed results I gather.

5. syd430 Guest

From my experience, it actually gets dumber over time.

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Not seeing that. I try to make it fail by using the tips of sides of my fingers and it works 99% of the time, and always has.

8. joonyaboy macrumors regular

joonyaboy

Long as my finger is dry, it always works for me

9. jll62 macrumors regular

Like many others, mine seems to be getting worse over time. The thumb I use most often works about 3 of 4 times, but my less used thumb is worse than 50%. Both were nearly perfect for the first couple of days after I trained the fingerprints.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

I don't keep a tally of how many times it fails but it seems to improve the more I use the feature.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Mine has definitely improved over time, and if it fails with a finger at an unusual angle, and I follow it up with a clean print, it definitely starts to read that odd angle better.

12. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I set up a few slots for the same finger. Using a different part of the finger each time. Seems better for now. But apple may need to add more then five fingers

13. jpcarro macrumors 6502

jpcarro

Agreed. Train it well with the sides and tips of your fingers. Mine is very reliable.

I found that after I placed it in my dock, my angle of approach was different than what I had trained it for. Just retrained it and all is good.

I don't think the finger print scanner learns over time...more likely you're doing the learning. ;)

14. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Im one of the guys that say Apple claim of the scanner learning over time is BS. No it hasnt degraded over time for me, but im sure ppl can think that when they have a case on there phone. A case can make u put your finger at odd angles. The scanner likes the whole finger or thumb and not just the tips. I get 100% scan rate if i use my whole finger, but the failure rate is high if i use my tips. Take your cases off and i bet your sucess rate will be 100%.