Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rnbgrilla

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Does anyone know why we can't lock stock apps with Touch ID,
I know devs can incorporate into there apps, why has apple not done that with iOS 8 to stock apps like messages, photos and so on, I don't want to have to jailbreak to use that feat.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Quite possibly a useful feature for some. #

I've locked out my apps before but as you correctly state a jail break is currently required.

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
If you end up jailbreaking there's a tweak called Biolock on Cydia and it's very nice and does exactly what you want.#

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
I know devs can incorporate into there apps, why has apple not done that with iOS 8 to stock apps like messages, photos and so on, I don't want to have to jailbreak to use that feat.
When handing your phone to someone with no specific purpose in mind, I agree, it would be nice to lock certain apps so that they can navigate freely between apps without accessing those you consider to contain private info.

Probably the only non-JB way to work around this current limitation is to use Guided Access, and change your practices by passing your phone to others so they can only use a specific app at a time. If they should require access to another app, then you would have to set up Guided Access for that one instead.

If that's unsatisfactory, then you there are at least two alternatives open to you: JB and use the app recommended earlier; or only pass your phone to people you completely trust.

jahall05

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2013

Because Apple hasn't added that feature yet (to their stock apps). Ask them to: apple.com/feedback

Last edited:

freemannnn

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Touch ID Lock

Yes it would be nice to give someone your phone and cant access eg photos, notes, sms or other apple apps tha you have specify. +1 for this!!!
I have been to this situation many times.
For example your wife,girlfriend,son,daughter,coleague.....you give the telephone to make an important call because he-she has forgot own telephone. Why had to cheat around apps that you dont like to see!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.