Touch ID & Microsoft Exchange accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pagemakers, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Anybody know if Touch ID will still work on the 5s if Microsoft Exchange email is installed on the phone which requires a complex password?

2. 617aircav Suspended

Touch id unlocks your phone and authorizes iTunes purchases. Has nothing to do with email.

3. lorax3, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

You don't understand what he is taking about.

I don't think we know yet. It might actually work with the current system. IIRC, Exchange configured this way checks only to see if there is a passcode set, and does not monitor other activities such as 'what the passcode is' or 'when did you enter the right passcode?' . I assume TouchID can bypass both simple and complex passwords. So set up your phone with a complex password, and login using TouchID.

The Exchange server should be satisfied since it sees a complex password. MSFT could decide whatever they want in the next Exchange update, and if this is a big deal for you talk to your work IT team. Once MSFT updates Exchange server to address this, your IT team may be able to require an actual alphanumeric password.

4. gCloud macrumors 6502a

it'd better, otherwise it'll be a useless pain.

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

617aircav - I know that!

However if you configure a Microsoft Exchange email account on your phone the 4 digit simple password is disabled and replaced with a complex long password when you unlock your phone.

My question is will Touch ID still work or will I still have to enter the complex password to unlock my phone from sleep?

----------

Gents. Thank you.

6. retrospek macrumors 6502

retrospek

I would love to know the answer to this as well.. Entering the Exchange passcode all the time is a real pain - and I'm really hoping the Touch ID will do away with this...

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Technically speaking yes, it will work. Exchange is just set with an ActiveSync policy that requires a complex password. You will still set up a complex password to meet the requirements of Exchange Active Sync, but you will unlock your device with your fingerprint.
    Exchange Server doesn't check if you put your complex password or not. It just checks if a password is set, nothing else.

8. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

9. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I can confirm it works but a complex passcode is also required instead of the 4 digits.

10. terzinator macrumors 6502

I gotta believe that if the phone itself still allows you to use a complex passcode, that the fingerprint sensor will work if you decide employ the complex passcode.

I mean, imagine if it didn't... can you imagine them sitting around the designer/dev table saying, "Ok, if the user decides to use a complex passcode, then we won't let 'em use the fingerprint sensor." "Great idea, Bob!"

Sorry, just being sarcastic, but it HAS to work with it.

EDIT: heh, just saw your last post that said it works.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I'm guessing that the Touch ID works like a macro that enters your passcode behind the scenes so to speak.
    If so then I would it expect it to satisfy Exchange.

12. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

The only downside is when you turn the phone on or reboot you have to manually enter the passcode. ID does not work, so on these occasions you need to re-enter your complex password.

After that you're good to go until you re-boot again.

13. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

14. jdmass macrumors member

My company also require a complex pass code to log in. I picked up my 5s this morning set up exchange mail, trained two fingerprints and voila! No more typing pass codes every time I use my phone!

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Nice. This may convince me to buy a 5S. My company forces a password and a 15-minute timeout/lock on the phone. Doing it via fingerprint could save me a lot of hassle.

16. Pagemakers, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

The fingerprint is required at every login regardless of Exchange being set on the device.

Let's hope the new IP has Touch ID too.

Guess that makes sense.