Touch ID no longer works

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamMacPerson, Aug 9, 2014.

1. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Ok so I have run into an issue with my iPhone 5s that is driving me absolutely nuts. The last few weeks I have had problems with it unlocking with Touch ID. I knew this was an issue from the start on the 5s but knowing what the degrade was, I took a good half hour to sit there and have it relearn my 4 fingers I had enrolled. It started working just fine again, but then it started over earlier this week. I took the time to try and reteach it tonight. Didn't even try. I sat there scanning my finger, and I'd say 1 of every 6-10 scans was actually registered. And this was on all 4 fingers too not just one.

I deleted all four scans. Turned everything off including passcode lock, closed all apps and did a hard reboot. It didn't help, in fact it made it worse. I was able to rescan one thumb, but whever I try to use it, it keeps telling me "try again" eventually making me enter my passcode anyway.

Now it won't scan any finger. I tried to enroll my other thumb, it would get through the first scans with some trouble (but not much). Then getting to the second part asking for other areas of the finger it will fill the fingerprint-picture on screen caused a lot of problems. It will "scan" the finger, however it "unfills" the newly filled area everytime I lift my finger, and yes I do wait for the vibration confirmation. I kept trying at this screen for a good minute. I clicked cancel as I had enough of that BS.

I'll try a restore tomorrow and see if that helps but does anyone else have any tips on how to fix it before a make the dreaded call to AppleCare?

2. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Have you tried a screen cleaner on the scanner? Maybe some substance is getting in there which is opaque to the scanner. No judgement!

3. techspin macrumors 6502a

Make sure the sensor is clean and you have the latest version of iOS. If it persists, take it to the store. I had multiple problems with TouchID in the beginning.

4. iamMacPerson thread starter macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah I cleaned it using a lens cleaning spray that worked on sapphire crystal (says for glasses and watches). Did nothing unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Yes the sensor was clean and the iPhone is currently running iOS 7.1.2, which is the latest as of today.

5. applejuice99 macrumors member

Seeing as it is a 5S it should be covered by warranty as it is less than a year old, if it hasn't been water damaged or any dents or chips from dropping the phone. So I suggest taking it to an apple store where you should be able to get a replacement or repair free of charge. :)

6. gbkrip macrumors member

I've had absolutely no trouble with my Touch ID sensor. Since your 5s is still under warranty, I would definitely head to your nearest Apple Store.