Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

wilky76

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2013
Wigan
As i work in the building trade so my hands & fingers get ruffed up quite often.

Because of this reason I think Touch ID has a hard time trying to read my prints due to the cuts, ruffed up skin, scratches ect that can change on a daily basis.

I know 100% there is nothing wrong with the touch ID sensor on my 5S, as my girlfriend has no problem at all with it when she uses it, because she got nice soft hands. ;):D

It's got to the point now were i just turn it off and use the password instead as this is less hassle to me.

Anybody else that does manual work finding the touch ID sensor has the same problem when reading your prints.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
As i work in the building trade so my hands & fingers get ruffed up quite often.

Because of this reason I think Touch ID has a hard time trying to read my prints due to the cuts, ruffed up skin, scratches ect that can change on a daily basis.

I know 100% there is nothing wrong with the touch ID sensor on my 5S, as my girlfriend has no problem at all with it when she uses it, because she got nice soft hands. ;):D

It's got to the point now were i just turn it off and use the password instead as this is less hassle to me.

Anybody else that does manual work finding the touch ID sensor has the same problem when reading your prints.

Maybe try adding the same finger multiple times! That is one of the unfortunate problems of a finger print scanner yeah. Hmm.

Comment

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
I concur, register the same finger 2-3 times. It definitely helps.

Comment

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Not knowing exactly what type of trade I'll ask if there is a finger that is relatively unaffected? For example, when I was rehabbing houses I don't remember my pinkies getting blisters or cut or smashed. Well, not too badly anyway... :D

Comment

kapolani

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
USA
The temperature is changing. When it gets cold my skin gets dry and sometimes cracks.

My right thumb is not drying and fissures are appearing.

My right thumb won't unlock now. Have to use my left.

Comment

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I work outside as well and to be honest I have always had a 2-3 time wait until I can get it unlocked as others have said maybe same finger multiple times will work and I'm bout to try it because I notice that it mainly wants to work this one certain way and not particularly over the whole fingerprint.Also helps to keep the sensor cleaned off and one of my biggest problems is needing to SLOW DOWN lol sometimes I lift my finger before its even had a chance at doing anything

Comment

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
I have been running into issues as we'll, somewhat surprisingly, without major cuts etc. Some pretty minor variations from soft clean skin when you set it up first can cause it to fail. But then we are typically only touching the sensor with a pretty small part of the entire print, and if that is where the variation is ... No go.
I've registered my left thumb and index finger as we'll, and been hitting the moisturizer already with winter upon us. Maybe gloves will help save skin too as it is colder out.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.