Touch ID not great for manual workers.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilky76, Nov 17, 2013.

1. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

As i work in the building trade so my hands & fingers get ruffed up quite often.

Because of this reason I think Touch ID has a hard time trying to read my prints due to the cuts, ruffed up skin, scratches ect that can change on a daily basis.

I know 100% there is nothing wrong with the touch ID sensor on my 5S, as my girlfriend has no problem at all with it when she uses it, because she got nice soft hands. ;):D

It's got to the point now were i just turn it off and use the password instead as this is less hassle to me.

Anybody else that does manual work finding the touch ID sensor has the same problem when reading your prints.

2. Seandroid macrumors regular

Maybe try adding the same finger multiple times! That is one of the unfortunate problems of a finger print scanner yeah. Hmm.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Costino1 macrumors 6502

Costino1

I concur, register the same finger 2-3 times. It definitely helps.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not knowing exactly what type of trade I'll ask if there is a finger that is relatively unaffected? For example, when I was rehabbing houses I don't remember my pinkies getting blisters or cut or smashed. Well, not too badly anyway... :D

6. kapolani macrumors regular

The temperature is changing. When it gets cold my skin gets dry and sometimes cracks.

My right thumb is not drying and fissures are appearing.

My right thumb won't unlock now. Have to use my left.

7. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

8. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Just tried that even ended up shaving my left nipple and it still didn't work;)

9. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I work outside as well and to be honest I have always had a 2-3 time wait until I can get it unlocked as others have said maybe same finger multiple times will work and I'm bout to try it because I notice that it mainly wants to work this one certain way and not particularly over the whole fingerprint.Also helps to keep the sensor cleaned off and one of my biggest problems is needing to SLOW DOWN lol sometimes I lift my finger before its even had a chance at doing anything

10. icerabbit macrumors member

I have been running into issues as we'll, somewhat surprisingly, without major cuts etc. Some pretty minor variations from soft clean skin when you set it up first can cause it to fail. But then we are typically only touching the sensor with a pretty small part of the entire print, and if that is where the variation is ... No go.
    I've registered my left thumb and index finger as we'll, and been hitting the moisturizer already with winter upon us. Maybe gloves will help save skin too as it is colder out.