Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacca44

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
Hi All,

I've just noticed that after rebooting my phone it says that I need to enter my passcode to unlock the phone, not use Touch ID. My phone then unlocks by just using the passcode...

Is this normal behaviour? It seems to reduce the security of the phone if someone just has to reboot it to avoid Touch ID.

Thanks!

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Hi All,

I've just noticed that after rebooting my phone it says that I need to enter my passcode to unlock the phone, not use Touch ID. My phone then unlocks by just using the passcode...

Is this normal behaviour? It seems to reduce the security of the phone if someone just has to reboot it to avoid Touch ID.

Thanks!

It's always possible to unlock the phone using just the passcode, not just after a reboot.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think you misunderstand TouchID.

It's not intended to be "more secure" than a passcode, it's intended to make having a passcode much more convenient.

Security is enhanced due to (a) users who already used passcodes may be more inclinded to use a complex passcode instead of a PIN and (b) users who couldn't be bothered to have a passcode may be more inclined to have one since TouchID makes it more convenient to use the phone.

TouchID enhances overall security across the population of iphone owners by increasing the number of people using passcodes.

viewsonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
its a con

because i dont the same

but got password wrong so its now disabled

i aint backed up with itunes so cant restore from there

i have find my phone switched on but was going to clear the phone but my phone is not picking up internet on my wifi probs because it does not kick in till after the password

so im stuck with a disabled phone

also if this phone was stolen
turned off
restarted
the thief would of tried to guess password and disabled it after 6 goes like me
so whats the point of find my phone as it wont pick phone up anyway till after password is correct and i have left gps on too

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
but got password wrong so its now disabled
i aint backed up with itunes so cant restore from there
so im stuck with a disabled phone
so whats the point of find my phone as it wont pick phone up anyway till after password is correct and i have left gps on too

Kind of difficult to figure out what you're getting it, but I'll try.

How is it you have a phone that has no cellular service? Wifi is a nice bonus, but we're talking about a cellphone which should access the internet over cellular. Even crappy 2G EDGE service is adequate for FindMyiPhone to get a fix.

Worst case, do a DFU restore on your phone. Either restore from your icloud backup or restore-as-new if you failed to make any backup anywhere.

True, FindMyiPhone has its limitations in terms of locating/recovering your phone since a crook can pull the SIM or turn the phone off; thus the new activation lock feature so the phone is unusable if marked Lost. That is aimed not so much to return your phone to you as to reduce thefts over time by eliminating much of the value of stolen iphones.

viewsonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Kind of difficult to figure out what you're getting it, but I'll try.

How is it you have a phone that has no cellular service? Wifi is a nice bonus, but we're talking about a cellphone which should access the internet over cellular. Even crappy 2G EDGE service is adequate for FindMyiPhone to get a fix.

Worst case, do a DFU restore on your phone. Either restore from your icloud backup or restore-as-new if you failed to make any backup anywhere.

True, FindMyiPhone has its limitations in terms of locating/recovering your phone since a crook can pull the SIM or turn the phone off; thus the new activation lock feature so the phone is unusable if marked Lost. That is aimed not so much to return your phone to you as to reduce thefts over time by eliminating much of the value of stolen iphones.

hi thanks

its strange

gps is showing on phone but find my phone not picking it up

dont know why wifi aint showing was ok before i turned the thing off

i never done a icloud back up its is my first iphone so there was no point only took it out of box last night

so if i clear phone with find my phone will it let me back in as says of find my phone page that only restores with internet access

any advice would be great

----------

How is it you have a phone that has no cellular service

its because i cant get pass the pin code its keeps disabling due to wrong pin
How is it you have a phone that has no cellular service it just tried after being locked out for one hour and diabled again

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Your quickest solution is probably to do a DFU restore. Google the instructions. Be aware it'll require a computer with itunes and will wipe your phone completely.

If your phone is on iOS7 make sure you know your AppleID and password first; if you're unsure go to appleid.apple.com

viewsonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Your quickest solution is probably to do a DFU restore. Google the instructions. Be aware it'll require a computer with itunes and will wipe your phone completely.

If your phone is on iOS7 make sure you know your AppleID and password first; if you're unsure go to appleid.apple.com

i tried wiping device with find my phone

but just saying pending probs because of no internet as not entered correct passcode

whats the point of find my phone surly once someone turns it off your never going to get it back because of that pin code blocking internet access

what is a dfu restore will it put io7 back on my phone .

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
because of no internet as not entered correct passcode

You keep mentioning this, but cellular data and Find My iPhone isn't disabled when you've entered the wrong PIN too many times.

To test I just turned off wifi and entered an incorrect PIN enough times for it to show "iPhone is Disabled". Phone was still detectable via icloud.com FindMyiPhone and I was able to send a "Make a sound" alert to the phone while disabled.

I don't doubt you have something weird going on, but incorrectly assuming that PIN disablement disables FindMyiPhone. The exception might be if the phone gets to the stage where it self-wipes, but you'd have to be pretty determined to enter the wrong PIN that many times.

what is a dfu restore will it put io7 back on my phone .

It's a full wipe of the phone; as I said, google the term. It'll put iOS7 on the phone. Expect it to require your AppleID and password to activate the phone.

Last edited:

viewsonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
You keep mentioning this, but cellular data and Find My iPhone isn't disabled when you've entered the wrong PIN too many times.

To test I just turned off wifi and entered an incorrect PIN enough times for it to show "iPhone is Disabled". Phone was still detectable via icloud.com FindMyiPhone and I was able to send a "Make a sound" alert to the phone while disabled.

I don't doubt you have something weird going on, but you're assumption that PIN disablement also disables FindMyiPhone is incorrect. The exception might be if the phone gets to the stage where it self-wipes, but you'd have to be pretty determined to enter the wrong PIN that many times.

It's a full wipe of the phone; as I said, google the term. It'll put iOS7 on the phone. Expect it to require your AppleID and password to activate the phone.

thanks not sure why it aint picking up wifi unless its something to do with my settings on the phone?
anyway tried what u said now have a blank screen phone wont even turn on whats the next step
cheers

viewsonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
update

its now in recover mode and its putting io7 on again once done will my phone be like it was yesterday then?

still doing my head in why find my phone never worked tho

also deeddawg if i ever see you in the uk im buying you a beer

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
its now in recover mode and its putting io7 on again once done will my phone be like it was yesterday then?

good to hear. when it's done it'll come up like fresh out of the box and you'll have the choice of setup as new or restore from backup. Might be worth trying to restore from an icloud backup; if you ever signed into icloud it might have automatically set it up to do a backup. Doesn't hurt to give it a go since it'll ask which backup to use if any exist after giving your appleID and password. Worst case you just setup the phone as new.

also deeddawg if i ever see you in the uk im buying you a beer

It's deal. No idea when I'll ever make it to the uk, but I'll hoist a pint in your honor tonight nonetheless. :)

Davedoug

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
They should let you use your fingerprint after reboot it's way more secure... The whole world can see a huge number screen into which you are forced to put your passcode whereas no one can tell your thumbprint... Truly backwards

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They should let you use your fingerprint after reboot it's way more secure... The whole world can see a huge number screen into which you are forced to put your passcode whereas no one can tell your thumbprint... Truly backwards

It would be less secure to not require a passcode. The passcode is used to entangle the hardware UUID and other encryption keys to unlock the device and gain access to the secure element where the Touch ID information it kept. There is more information on this within Apple's security whitepaper. PS: It isn't always a good idea to revive a multi-year old thread.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

You can enable a complex passcode, then no more "huge number screen"

Davedoug

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
No one wants to use a passcode, just do what the people want and let us use our fingerprints

----------

Besides, why would anyone want to use a complex number code (time wasting), when the fingerprint is far more complex and quicker

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
No one wants to use a passcode, just do what the people want and let us use our fingerprints
Reread post #16. After a reboot, your fingerprints aren't taken out of the secure enclave and decrypted until after you've first proven who you are. And since you can't use fingerprints to prove who you are, you have to use your passcode.

Davedoug

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2015
Antiquated... Apple should admit when it's weong or when it's been caught sleeping. Don't worry, a future iPad will have the capabilities everyone wants. Peace.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

----------

Besides, why would anyone want to use a complex number code (time wasting), when the fingerprint is far more complex and quicker

The passcode is required because, what if, your fingerprint doesn't work? Will you then just be locked out of your phone? No..the passcode is a backup.

Also, how often does the average person reboot their phone? I'd imagine most people only do it every few weeks, if ever. Other than that, they can always use their fingerprint. I don't see how this is an issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Antiquated... Apple should admit when it's weong or when it's been caught sleeping. Don't worry, a future iPad will have the capabilities everyone wants. Peace.

What are they wrong about and what's antiquated again?

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014

The idea of having Touch ID is to make your password precisley not just 4 digits but rather more complex. It all makes sense with the failed attempts and restart because it makes it harder to fool Touch ID. It's not backwards at all, it's more secure since a thief only has 5 attempts before the phone asks for the passcode which makes absolute sense. Again same for a reboot, it's not like you reboot your phone every day. I think the reboot thing also cannot be changed because the way it's implemented with the secure element.
Now the 48 hour Touch ID rule in the itunes store on the other hand is something which should be changed to like 1 month because right now it's basically pointless unless you buy something every day.

Last edited:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

----------

I'm not saying to use a complex passcode instead of Touch ID. You said a 4 digit passcode is insecure, so enabling a complex passcode resolves that.

You can use your fingerprints. Except when the device has been rebooted(almost never) or left for more than 48 hours. It provides an added layer of security, and allows you to unlock the device in the event the Touch ID sensor has failed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.