Touch ID not working, fingerprints gone on 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ja09, Jan 23, 2017.

1. ja09 macrumors newbie

Went to work this morning, plugged in my 15" MBP to my external monitors, and my fingerprints weren't working. I did not shut off or restart the computer when bringing it to work, just closed it and put it in my backpack.

Once I realized the Touch ID wasn't working, I restarted the computer. No luck, fingerprints seem to be missing in the settings. Screenshot attached.

I did not perform any updates to any software within the last week.

Has this happened to anyone?

Attached Files:

2. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

This happened to me once on my 13" tMBP about 4 weeks ago. I setup a new finger print and it hasn't happened again since.

3. ja09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It's weird isn't it. Might go a week or so to see if they come back. Don't see why or how they would just be deleted. Maybe Apple programmed an erase function with any malfunctions in the software/hardware?

4. donpaluh macrumors newbie

donpaluh

Has this happened to anyone?[/QUOTE]

It just happened to me on a 2017 MacBook Pro after one month. I also use an external display at my office. I wonder it that is related to the issue. I use it in closed-cover mode when I run the external monitor with a bluetooth keyboard. And the Touch ID obviously is not an option during that time, so I wonder if it contributes to the computer forgetting the Touch ID when you are back to normal mode.

5. radus macrumors 6502

It happened to me multiple times.
    Yet another example of Apple's "superior" quality management.

Btw. My Thinkbook Carbon Yoga's Fingerprint sensor is much more stable, but less functional.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I've had to reset fingerprints on mine a number of times now since getting it last month. Started after I started switching between Sierra and High Sierra installs (they're on different drives) so I figured my problems were caused by that.