Touch ID not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kerber0s34, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Kerber0s34 macrumors member

Kerber0s34

I've had my iPhone 7 since it launched, and have been using Touch ID with great success. However, today I had to reboot my phone, and touch ID wont work, I have to enter a code. I have no idea what the pass code is! Its also prompting for 6 digits, my normal pass code that I've used in the past and on my iPad is only 4. I dont remember setting any code, I've just used Touch id since day 1.

Is there a way to reset the passcode if it has been forgotten, or some sort of default passcode? I tried plugging it into my computer to see if iTunes would be of any help, but I have to unlock it before it will be recognized.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

When the device restarts you always have to use the passcode first as TouchID won't be available until you unlock it with the passcode the first time after a restart.

The passcode would have bene something you set up at some point. The only way to "reset" it is to basically reinstall.

3. Kerber0s34 thread starter macrumors member

Kerber0s34

If I had set a pass code, it would have been my usual one, never seen a 6 digit code before. I set up Touch ID at the carrier store, so maybe they set the passcode. I'll give them a call. If I have to reset, I guess I'll lose everything in Photos etc? I cant back it up unless I unlock it, and I dont use photostream.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you backed up recently? Of perhaps have iCloud backup enabled (which would automatically backup when you are on WiFi and connected to a power source)?

5. Kerber0s34 thread starter macrumors member

Kerber0s34

I called the carrier store, and they suggested the last 6 digits of my phone number as that's what they use for default passcodes. It worked! Is the 6 digit passcode an iphone 7 thing? I upgraded from a 5, so I have no idea when that changed.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe the 6 digit passcode was introduced back with iOS 9 or somewhere around there. You could still change it to a 4 digit one (or an actual alphanumeric passphrase/password). Might be worthwhile for you to go into passcode settings and perhaps change it to somewhat that you would want/expect.