Touch ID not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikeyiphone, Oct 6, 2017.

1. mikeyiphone macrumors regular

When I try to sign on I use the touch ID and nothing happens. Its not even saying retry or anything of that nature. So I'm forced to use my password.

I tried deleting the fingerprint and adding a new one, when i did that it, at first, it didn't read my fingerprint. So i deleted the null fingerprint and tried to create a new one and it read it.

but then i close the lid an try to log back on and it won't read my fingerprint.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. Yeahyeahyeah123 macrumors member

Try cleaning the sensor with a microfiber cloth and wash your hands to get rid of excess oils.

3. mikeyiphone thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think thats the issue. My iPhone is working fine and never gives me any issues.
    It seems to work when it wants to.

4. Yeahyeahyeah123 macrumors member

I just know my sensor acts up sometimes and when I do those two things, it tends to fix the problem. Also, the way I am seated/finger is positioned can affect it too.

5. andy9l macrumors 68000

So you’re saying it appears it’s not even trying to read your finger?

Assuming you’ve tried the usual reboot/SMC reset/PRAM reset, I would probably suggest an OS reinstall at this stage.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Your iPhone will be constantly going into/out of your pocket and getting a little clean. The MBP doesn't have this luxury, so you do actually need to physically clean it every once in a while if you haven't done so. The oils can build up and effect the optical properties of the sensor, distorting the registered print a little which will cause false readings (This is a security thing, it needs to be 100% not near enough).

Just try cleaning it and report back, otherwise you'll go down a rabbit hole of random solutions when it could just take 3 seconds to sort out.

7. creativesmith macrumors newbie

Yes, am experiencing precisely the same issue. Have deleted and added fingerprints, reset SMC and NVRAM, etc. Problem persists. (And have cleaned the sensor… and washed my hands.)