Touch ID on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dulcimer, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

There's been some speculation that Touch ID could make its way to the Mac, notably on MBPs.

What does everyone here think about the likelihood of this happening? And if you think it'll be implemented, when and how?

My guess would be in the Skylake MBP release (so late 2015 or early 2016) where an updated design would coincide with introducing Touch ID. I see three possibilities for how it'll be implemented:

1. In place of the power button (most likely).
    2. Somewhere on the outside shell, perhaps where the screen lid is opened from or on the side where the ports are. Would be convenient for using in clamshell mode with an external monitor.
    3. Integrated in the trackpad. This seems least likely because of the amount of engineering involved. But if the iPhone ever has Touch ID integrated in the display (no more Home Button!), a possibility for iPhone 7 in 2016, then perhaps the same could be done with the trackpad (which is glass).

2. stagmeister macrumors regular

The one you missed is the possibility that it will be another "continuity" feature with your iPhone. I.e. Time to unlock your computer? Just use Touch ID on your phone sitting next to the computer.

3. freeskier93, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Integrating TouchID into the trackpad really shouldn't be hard, nowhere near the complexity of integrating it into a display. Really the only issue would be cost due to the size of the trackpad.

4. Dulcimer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

That's a possibility, but that also seems really inconvenient compared to having the actual hardware. Pulling out your phone and waiting for the pop-up to scan your fingerprint would take quite a bit longer than any of the above implementations.

5. tresmith macrumors 6502

great point but using your phone to unlock your pc seems a bit cumbersome. you have to get up and go get your phone every time it's not near you. and if your PC has multiple users it would mean that you either have to give everyone an iphone or give everyone access to your iphone.

putting touch id directly onto the computer is the only way I see them doing it correctly.

personally I would welcome this feature cause it would bring alot of conveince and security and I think it will eventually happen. it's a question of when not if.

6. luked14 macrumors 6502

Putting Touch ID in MacBooks might require a complete redesign. Maybe we'll see it integrated in the rumored Retina Airs when they launch.

7. stagmeister macrumors regular

Isn't that what apple wants, though? They want everyone to have their win individual ios device. That's why they don't have multi user iPads, and why they probably never will.

I can imagine a situation where you can tie your ios device to a particular account on a computer. So if you come to the iMac and want to use your account, Touch ID on your iPhone. If the mrs uses her iPhone, then her account comes up.

8. tresmith macrumors 6502

every PC is going to have to have a power button and so integrating touch id into it and having a one step, power on and log in is more convenient than the two step, power on and reach for phone for log in.

personally, I would want touch id to be put on the computer just because I'm always on the computer and I never have my phone near me. I miss alot of phone calls because it. so it's one of the reasons i was really looking forward to the continuity feature and the ability to answer the phone on the computer.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Dear Jony Ives,
    Do you really think Touch ID should be build into MacBook Pro/Air? It might look funny on the keyboard. I hope you don't think about it. :apple:

10. jellybean macrumors regular

I would love to be able to use my future Apple Watch to login to my Mac. If the Mac doesn't sense my Watch is nearby, it won't unlock. It'll still give the option of logging in using a password incase the Watch battery is dead or whatever, but it'll be nice having the convenience of bypassing the need for that if my Watch is nearby.

11. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

If nothing else, TouchID could enable ApplePay from your Mac - sort of like 1-click ordering but more secure.

12. tresmith macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing.

one...very secure log in...keep the normal criminals and gov't criminals out of your personal business.

two...being able to pay for everything in your online shopping cart in 2 secs by tapping the touch id button without entering anything else is very convenient.