Touch ID on MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrozenDarkness, Jun 1, 2014.

1. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I'm wondering how come there are no rumors for a TouchID on Macbook Pros? I feel like that almost seems like the logical next step for Apple to bring it over and yet you rarely hear anybody talk about it. It may be integrated into the mouse pad a la the home button on the iPhone. It might lead to a radical redesign of the macbook pro as a whole.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Reasons

If you had ever owned an IBM computer from the 2000's, there was almost always a fingerprint scanner. This was a great idea, until people got frustrated with the consistency of the scanner. Now, if there was to be a fingerprint scanner, it wouldn't be on the trackpad (unless it covered the entire trackpad). If people didn't like it, it would be there in the way. It would most likely be off to the side and there is where the downfall is.

4. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

we need touchID to actually make the safari password vault a useful thing.

5. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

You will not see touch ID on any Mac Computer anytime soon. It makes sense for a phone because having to type passwords on a touch screen can be cumbersome at times. With a laptop you have a keyboard to type on which is faster and easier to do. Not to mention you don't put in passwords nearly as much as you do with phones anyways, most people have passwords saved in the key chain anyways which is automatically applied when you visit the site.

6. FrozenDarkness thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I think if Apple is serious about safety, as in, allowing TouchID to log into OTHER websites for you and maybe even go a step further and make up passwords for you, than it'd be required.

7. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

If that is your strongest argument ; cumbersome. I don't take you serious.
    I would love to put a 33 character password with $/#/!'s etc on my Macbook Pro. But the fact that I lock it quite often makes me prevent this. Touch ID would solve this big time.

8. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I would like an apple TouchID on a Macbook Pro. Faster to log in than doing the keyboard, and a gazillion numbers/letters and what not to be safe. Bring it on. ;)

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

There are better ways in auto filling passwords without using a fingerprint scanner. For instance, I have the OS X keychain do it for me automatically already.

1Password and the others can do this too.

10. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I used a UPEK Icon fingerprint dongle by Authentec for years. It was great.
    Using a fingerprint to put in passwords on my Mac.

When Authentec was purchased by Apple and I upgraded to Mavericks the dongle was no longer supported.:(

1password does the trick now and is almost as convenient.

11. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

It makes sense to introduce it into the portable devices first but I think it will come to Macs at some point. Touch ID could easily be added to any MacBook or Apple keyboard.

Personally, I'd like to see it somehow integrated into the touchpad or a specific area on the touchpad.

12. tresmith macrumors 6502

touchid in a macbook would be great. not only for login authentication but think about all the shopping people do on-line and how that would make things so much easier.

It would also make logging into different accounts much easier.

I think it will eventual make it to other products. It's just a matter of time.

matter of fact Apple laptops already had a circular power button. how hard would it be to integrate the touch id sensor.

13. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Not all of their laptops have circular power buttons, for example the rMBP and the Air don't :(

It would be great if they could let you use your iPhone through handoff/continuity to authenticate your Mac

14. tresmith macrumors 6502

they did in the last generation. and I'm sure they could put it back in future products.

that would be a great idea if they didn't want to add the hardware. but direct access via hardware would be the most convenient. I personally would not like having to reach for my phone every time.

15. 5to1, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

True but it was pretty poor in comparison to Apples implementation. Even still I used to use it on my Thinkpads when at client sites (constantly locking screen when stepping away and didn't want to appear rude by covering myself entering the password). I'd be extremely happy to see something as consistent as TouchID (not perfect but eminently useable) make an appearance on laptops.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Fingerprint sensor was not very successful with Windows laptops many years ago so I doubt Apple will make it. :apple: