Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
If you're truly concerned about security just disable touch ID on the power button. Otherwise, the phone is less secure having to slowly (it almost always skips a number when I type it in fast) enter my PIN to log in with a mask on with eyes all around.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
A few days ago a manual of the upcoming iPad Air was leaked. It has Touch ID built into the power button. Why don’t Apple implement it on the iPhone 12? I’m not talking about replacing Face ID, just as a second authentication method. And to be honest, I don’t think it’s expensive for Apple, because if it is they weren’t using it on the iPad Air in the first place.

I hope Apple thought about it and the upcoming iPhone 12, or at least the Pro models will have it.

Edit: it’s official, there’s an iPad Air with Touch ID built into the power button.

Indeed! I always wondered if maybe the iPhone Power Button was too small for TouchID but now that the new iPad Air has it, I think Apple should indeed include the option of TouchID on the 12 range, at the very least on the Pro models as you have said, it makes sense.

Apple would be able to claim that not only do they have the most secure Facial Recognition but they also have the most Secure Fingerprints recognition in one Phone, versus competitors who have half-assed both, where Under Screen FPS is still pretty iffy and unreliable and their Facial recognition not being secure.

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
no fear, just prefer fid, not going back to buttons for tid, outdated IMO.
Fair play. To be honest, I haven't used iOS FID yet. I've been on OnePlus for a number of years due to price point and pure hardware specs. Never been a big phone-photographer. Just take photos of my kids and it does that job. My experience with the 6t in-screen TID was so-so, I generally also rely on it's FID. It was one of the first and was really cool - it's definitely slower than my 6s TID was. I would vouch more for a power button TID than a under-screen TID.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I’d like to have the choice. Personally I’m not comfortable with the idea of FID and having all of those lights (it or whatever it is they use) shined in my eyes every time I want to unlock my phone a BFF d that can be a lot. I have my phone set up to lock after a few minutes of non use.
Then there’s the various convience such as unlocking without having to pick it up etc.

Reactions: snipr125

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
As the months go on and Masks and Covid are still prominent in everyday life perhaps Apple will institute 2 methods of loging in. It’s annoying having to log on manually. If they do it won’t be till next year

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
they should have thought about including it in the power button as soon as it was clear that the pandemic is gonna hit and what better way to push the iPhone 12 than to promote the option to be able to authenticate it two ways in those "changing times" and how fast they responded to the demand blablabla

The other day a friend of mine went to the Apple Store and took off his mask for 2 seconds to authenticate a purchase and they were about to kill him. He was like "well, give me an iPhone that works with a mask then"

I personally do not have the issue since my iPhone started to unlock with any mask a few weeks ago but still, its nice to have options

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
they should have thought about including it in the power button as soon as it was clear that the pandemic is gonna hit and what better way to push the iPhone 12 than to promote the option to be able to authenticate it two ways in those "changing times" and how fast they responded to the demand blablabla
By that time the design was already more or less set and changes on that level and to that degree would have meant much longer delays.
[automerge]1600411142[/automerge]
The other day a friend of mine went to the Apple Store and took off his mask for 2 seconds to authenticate a purchase and they were about to kill him. He was like "well, give me an iPhone that works with a mask then"
There's always the passcode.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Make me understand why you haven’t used the best feature of the iPhone X?!
I know of 3 people personally who have the X/XS and don’t use FaceID. Whenever I’ve asked them they just say they don’t like it and would rather use the passcode. It makes you wonder how many people out there do the same thing if I know 3 people in such a small circle. It doesn’t make sense to me either.

Reactions: snipr125

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I know of 3 people personally who have the X/XS and don’t use FaceID. Whenever I’ve asked them they just say they don’t like it and would rather use the passcode. It makes you wonder how many people out there do the same thing if I know 3 people in such a small circle. It doesn’t make sense to me either.

Probably people that want to use it in the car driving about the only place FID is not good, i have even had some tell me that's why they stick to home button iPhones.
Yes stupid i know.

Even my non techie wife likes FID, she doesn't like widgets though, i put a weather one on top for here and she made me take it off lol.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
??????
Probably people that want to use it in the car driving about the only place FID is not good, i have even had some tell me that's why they stick to home button iPhones.
Yes stupid i know.

Even my non techie wife likes FID, she doesn't like widgets though, i put a weather one on top for here and she made me take it off lol.
In the car? So where they shouldn’t be unlocking the thing ??

? I like my weather widget, but I file it to the side (Today View) as I like a clean App layout on my home screen, with my most used Apps.

Reactions: Robbosan

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
??????

In the car? So where they shouldn’t be unlocking the thing ??

? I like my weather widget, but I file it to the side (Today View) as I like a clean App layout on my home screen, with my most used Apps.
My wife doesn't want me to update to iOS 14 yet on her phone.. she always hates big iOS changes.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think it would be great to have Touch ID in the power button. It’s true masks make Face ID tough to use. As gloves make Touch ID tough to use. You pick your poison. I have an 11 character passcode and have gotten used to using it when I have a mask on.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
I think it would be great to have Touch ID in the power button. It’s true masks make Face ID tough to use. As gloves make Touch ID tough to use. You pick your poison. I have an 11 character passcode and have gotten used to using it when I have a mask on.
I've often thought about how Asian phone companies typically always have multiple authentication options (FID, TID, Under screen fingerprint etc.) and their historical usage of face masks.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Yes stupid i know.

The people I know aren’t of the older generation either, all in their 30’s and with technical jobs. I don’t think it’s about unlocking in the car as it’s illegal to do that here. I think it’s more that they prefer the passcode method. My father in law has never activated TouchID on his iPhone either and always uses the passcode. He has an Apple Watch S4 and has never used Apple Pay which I find astonishing.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I like my weather widget, but I file it to the side (Today View) as I like a clean App layout on my home screen, with my most used Apps.
The weather widget/app is hideously inaccurate where I live so it’s pointless me having it on my home screen. I use the DarkSky app which is more accurate. Our weather changes by the half an hour here and we can have 4 seasons in a day sometimes.

Having used the iOS 14 beta for some time I’ve found only the shortcuts widget is useful to me. The rest are just large icons for apps I don’t really use. Apple need to open widgets up to third parties just to get more relevance I think.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The weather widget/app is hideously inaccurate where I live so it’s pointless me having it on my home screen. I use the DarkSky app which is more accurate. Our weather changes by the half an hour here and we can have 4 seasons in a day sometimes.

Having used the iOS 14 beta for some time I’ve found only the shortcuts widget is useful to me. The rest are just large icons for apps I don’t really use. Apple need to open widgets up to third parties just to get more relevance I think.
Somewhat off topic, but widgets are open to third parties.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
The people I know aren’t of the older generation either, all in their 30’s and with technical jobs. I don’t think it’s about unlocking in the car as it’s illegal to do that here. I think it’s more that they prefer the passcode method. My father in law has never activated TouchID on his iPhone either and always uses the passcode. He has an Apple Watch S4 and has never used Apple Pay which I find astonishing.

Sounds like my parents, they won’t use tid either on their 8, just passcode, tried to get them to do it but gave up lol.

John dosh

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2019
My fiancé has an iPhone 11 and she just uses passcode to unlock it I said to her about Face ID to unlock it but she don’t care for all that.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I think that Touch ID is the single most important feature that Apple needs to have on the iPhone 12. Masks are a part of our world now, and Face ID has gone from a nice alternative to a completely worthless feature. There is no Face ID anymore out in public, and that isn't changing any time soon. The number of times I have to enter my passcode in every day has reached a ridiculous amount.

I don't care if every single feature is the same as the iPhone 11 in a pretty new shell if the iPhone has Touch ID I will purchase it on the spot as it is something that is desperately needed now. I'm hoping that its inclusion in the iPad Air is a preview of things to come, I just hope that its with this years release of the iPhone. Is there any hope in thinking that Apple was already planning on putting it in the iPhone 12?

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Haven’t seen any rumors about Touch ID returning to this year’s phones.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I think that Touch ID is the single most important feature that Apple needs to have on the iPhone 12. Masks are a part of our world now, and Face ID has gone from a nice alternative to a completely worthless feature. There is no Face ID anymore out in public, and that isn't changing any time soon. The number of times I have to enter my passcode in every day has reached a ridiculous amount.

I don't care if every single feature is the same as the iPhone 11 in a pretty new shell if the iPhone has Touch ID I will purchase it on the spot as it is something that is desperately needed now. I'm hoping that its inclusion in the iPad Air is a preview of things to come, I just hope that its with this years release of the iPhone. Is there any hope in thinking that Apple was already planning on putting it in the iPhone 12?
I agree, I bought an iPhone 11 last year and I returned it, one of the reason was no Touch ID. I'm still using the 6s Plus . If I need to get a new phone I might get the rumoured SE Plus or wait until next year for iPhone 13

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I prefer FaceID - but TouchID would sure be handy when unlocking the iPhone with a face mask on these days!

Reactions: blaine07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.