Touch ID question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neilperrin, Sep 25, 2015.

1. neilperrin macrumors newbie

neilperrin

Just got my beautiful, shiny, new 6S.. Never experienced Touch ID before this phone, as I upgraded from the 4S. My question is this.. I don't want to have to use my thumbprint to open my phone, but I do want it for Apple Pay, App Store, etc.. If I 'turn passcode off' those options are no longer available.. If I deselect 'unlock iPhone' it still asks me for the numerical passcode when trying to open my phone... Any help would be appreciated!

2. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Why wouldn't you want to use your thumbprint to unlock the phone?

Maybe you can keep the thumbprint enabled and just use the power button to wake your phone and enter your password?

3. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

Because I don't want my phone locked... Personal preference. It has nothing to do with the Touch ID being super fast, I just don't want, or need my phone locked.

4. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

You know it's faster to unlock your phone using TouchID than it is to hit the home button and swipe (even without a passcode).

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You're not going to get any sympathy here. It's actually quicker to use the touch id then to slide to unlock. No lock on your phone is just silly.

6. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

I'm not asking for what's faster... I'm asking a simple question. Is it possible??

7. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

No. It's all or nothing.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I don't think so because you have to have a passcode to have the Touch ID feature. Even if you don't want to use the Touch ID feature to unlock phone.

9. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

I'm not looking for any sympathy lol.. Dear lord.. I'm sorry everyone is so worried about their phones being locked so absolutely nobody can see anything... I have zero reason to lock my phone, and I asked to see if anyone can help me with a very simple question.. If the answer is no, then great that's all I need... I don't need any lectures about security.

10. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

Thank you! Simple answer, to a simple question! Much appreciated.

11. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

That's what I assumed.. Just wanted to make sure.. Thanks!

12. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

You may have zero need to lock your phone, but you'll need it for Apple pay

13. neilperrin thread starter macrumors newbie

neilperrin

Absolutely.. And I certainly want to use it for that.. Was just wondering if I could still use it for that.. While not completely locking my phone.. That's all. Trust me all, I'm not complaining one bit, I love this phone and could never imagine using anything different!