Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And my thought why don't implant direct in the display, big issue with touch id on the back is can't unlock phone while lying on table or flat surface

That's inaccurate. Even if Touch ID was on the back of the iPhone 8, you still have the option of unlocking the display with a password/pin unlock If the iPhone was laying on a table or facial/Iris scan if these features are released with the iPhone 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark5150

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I am often using my iPhone in bed before sleeping and listen to podcasts with speakers.

It's so comfortable if you are tired to just rest a finger on the home button and you are directly in the app. I wouldn't buy one with Touch ID on the back, alone for that reason and I also will not buy one without a headphone jack, as long as my headphones last and Bluetooth 5 is established.

But I don't need a new phone anyway, my 6s+ is more than enough for the next 5 years.

Reactions: Sunny1990

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
And my thought why not implant touch id direct in the display, big issue with touch id on the back is can't unlock phone while lying on table or flat surface
you will just have to use facial or iris scanning instead.

apple are clearly trying to get it under the display but the tech simply might not be ready yet
[doublepost=1492854989][/doublepost]
If they put Touch ID sensor on the back, the iPhone will be ruined.
it won't, it will still sell in record breaking numbers. the whole touch ID on the back would only be for a year anyway

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's all ifs and buts. Apple were said to be implementing wireless charging a couple of years ago as well. All speculation.
i'm sure they are but like with this the tech simply isn't likely ready yet so they will have to just have normal wireless charging for now.

if the rumours of the back being not glass then that hole likely will be needed for wireless charging. as if it isn't glass then wireless charging won't work.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
because clearly the tech will be ready by next year to put it under the display. If apple are said to be trying to get it ready for this years model clearly it will be ready by next year.
The same was said about extruding cameras...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
And my thought why not implant touch id direct in the display, big issue with touch id on the back is can't unlock phone while lying on table or flat surface

Well you could actually just press the sleep/ wake button and enter your pin to unlock without picking the phone up?
[doublepost=1492863478][/doublepost]
because clearly the tech will be ready by next year to put it under the display. If apple are said to be trying to get it ready for this years model clearly it will be ready by next year.

It'll be the iPhone 8S killer must have new feature haha!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well you could actually just press the sleep/ wake button and enter your pin to unlock without picking the phone up?

It'll be the iPhone 8S killer must have new feature haha!
lol well i hope for apple's sake that the note 8 doesn't have it under the screen otherwise there would be no excuse for apple. if note 8 doesn't have the FP under the screen then i think we need to just say the tech isn't quite ready.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
lol well i hope for apple's sake that the note 8 doesn't have it under the screen otherwise there would be no excuse for apple. if note 8 doesn't have the FP under the screen then i think we need to just say the tech isn't quite ready.

Yeah I'll be surprised if we see it this year, it's been talked about and shown off for what 2 years now? And no phone has it under the screen.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
If the note 8 gets it and the iPhone 8 doesn't I'll get the note.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think they will either both have it or neither of them will have.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016

Major pain though putting in PIN numbers when you're used to the ease of Touch ID. I never passworded my iPhones before Touch ID.

Reactions: Freakonomics101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.