Touch ID scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phoneperfection, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Phoneperfection macrumors newbie

Phoneperfection

So I know this may sound a bit silly, but I just bought the new iPhone 6 plus. I am as OCD as it gets about my phone and want to keep it in perfect condition with cases and screen protectors and such. Especially when paying $950. I've only had the phone for a week and had to replace it once already because the first phone came straight out of the box with a scratch and a small dent. Now after only a few days, my Touch ID is scratched. It's odd because I can only see the scratches when there are oils on the sensor. When I clean it with a rag they go away but then if I get it dirty again the same scratches appear in the same spot. I know every phone gets minor wear and tear and I shouldn't be pulling hair out over this but it just plain ****** me off. I am sooooooo careful with my device and the "Safire" crystal shouldn't be scratched after a few days. Does anyone else notice minor scratches on their sensors? With or without dirt? Thank you!!

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I would return the phone, wait a month and buy the 6S+ for the same price u bought this phone for. It will have all the bending issues resolved. As for scratches they just happen.

3. Phoneperfection thread starter macrumors newbie

Phoneperfection

I don't really want the new phone for a few reasons but regardless you don't think I should worry about this?

4. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Out of curiosity, what are those reasons? Typically the 'S' releases are the best as they usually resolve any issue the non-S version had. I would also recommend returning the phone and waiting for the new iPhone if you don't absolutely need a phone right this second.

As far as your main point regarding Touch ID and scratches, as long as it still works I don't think it should be a concern. But if it does bother you then you could always have the device exchanged or the button replaced.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't sound like something to worry about.

6. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

How did you manage to scratch the Touch ID? It's sapphire and recessed in a bit.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would return your iPhone because it is going to drive you crazy keeping it in perfect condition. Stop looking for scratches and try to just enjoy your phone.

8. Phoneperfection thread starter macrumors newbie

Phoneperfection

That's what I don't know. I think it may be manufacturing error. I keep a screen protector and a heavy case and I don't carry the phone in my pocket and I'm soooooo careful!

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

Just curious, but what are you reasons for not wanting to get the S model?

10. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Are you absolutely certain they're scratches you're seeing and not your own finger print?

11. Moonshot macrumors member

Moonshot

Return it, get a new iPhone 6 and immediately put it in a Otterbox Defender case. It protects the touch ID as well with a thin film. I understand perfection, so an Otterbox case is your best bet to keep it in perfect condition.

12. skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

I was thinking the same thing. I've had my 5S for well over a year now, and without going into the μm scale maybe, it's as pristine as the day I bought it. I'm not particularly rough with it but I'm even further away from doting on it. Even the ring is holding extremely well.

13. marf1million macrumors regular

Considering your avatar is a picture of (I assume) yourself at the beach, is it possible you used Touch ID at the beach with sand on your thumb? Certain coarse sand can scratch gorilla glass and sapphire.