Touch ID should have a button on the keyboard whenever you tap a password field

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by moonman239, Oct 4, 2014.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

It's nice that we get a Touch ID API, but why should developers have a choice?

Come to think of it, I understand why they do. Therefore, I propose that the text-field API be modified so that users be automatically allowed to allow the iPhone to store the password in a keychain that the user can let an app access by entering a password or touching the home button.

2. X-X macrumors 6502

The current API does not make sense.

What's the point of using TouchID with an app if you just used THE SAME finger print to unlock your phone.

It's like using the same password twice in a row. It's useless.

Why doesn't TouchID automatically unlock all apps when you unlock your phone? Because that would provide the EXACT same security as it does right now, but with a lot more connivence.

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Not at all. What if I unlock my phone using Touch ID and then leave it on the table? I don't want a friend going into certain apps, yet I don't mind them using the rest of my phone. This way, they aren't able to get into those apps unless I use my fingerprint. So it provides more security than the notion that you suggest.

4. Ifti macrumors 68000

Register your fingerprint every time you want to even start an app??
    No thanks!

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think there is a lot of confusion about how developers will use Touch ID. Apps like Facebook or Twitter would never use it. It only makes sense for apps like banking apps that want you to login each time you open the app. I don't think you will see any type of wide adoption of touch id outside of very specific apps.

6. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I like the way 1Password has implemented it.

7. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

TouchID is not meant to be a single sign on for authentication. It's meant to replace in app passwords if the developer chooses to do so. Apple security will never allow single sign on. It's working greet for Amazon and LastPass and eventually banking and financial apps will adopt once they are comfortable enough.

8. X-X macrumors 6502

Hmm let's see...

Current: You use your fingerprint to unlock your phone and then you use the same fingerprint to unlock an app.

VS

How it should be: You use your fingerprint to unlock your phone and it automatically unlocks apps that support TouchID.

NO DIFFERENCE in terms of security. The current implementation of TouchID is just more cumbersome without any benefits.

9. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I would never want to unlock all my apps at once. What if my phone was unlocked and as a result all my banking and password app was unlocked, and before it locks again it is stolen. The thief would have access to everything, everything. No thanks.

Using your logic when you enter a passcode to unlock the phone do you want to unlock all of your password protected apps as well?

10. X-X macrumors 6502

That's a pretty unlikely scenario you're creating. If you are that afraid you should never use TouchID in the first place.

No.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No..just, no.

Just because I want to unlock my phone, does not mean I wish to unlock my banking apps, Etc. Get your head out of the sand.

12. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

But it could happen, are willing to take the chance? If you want the ability to unlock everything with one fingerprint why don't you want the ability to do so with one password. What's the difference?

13. X-X macrumors 6502

But you effectively do, if you use the same fingerprint for both.

14. blwade macrumors 6502

This really is a terrible idea for previous reasons stated in this thread...

HOWEVER, I would totally be on board with this IF they could implement touch id into every inch of the screen. For the iPhone to always know it is you?

You tap the app you want to open and the tap on the app icon registers your finger print and bypasses the login....

Yeah. How about that? :)

15. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

It's more secure than using the same password for every app which many people do.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

lol... That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? Nobody unlocks their phone every single time just to open banking apps. Plus you might lend your phone to someone else, and do you want people peeking at your information?

17. Alon1 macrumors member

These apps were already protected by a password (yes, even if your phone was pass code protectected already) so I don't see why the implementation of touchid should change anything. It may be the same fingerprint but it inputs a different password to your app from the keychain. Never heard anyone complain about this before when it was just passwords and THAT was inconvenient. Besides, I like having the two levels of security. I can show other people stuff on my phone with ought having to worry about them acting sketchy.

18. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Exactly! Apple has made it way easier now to authenticate into the phone and apps and people are complaining? I am a Cybersecurity engineer for a living and I can tell you that Apple implemented TouchID perfect from a usability and security perspective. It works 99 percent of the time and they let the developers choose when to use it for their own apps while still maintaining the security for the device and the app. You can never please everyone and some people value convenience over security. These are the same people who use the same weak password for every web site whether is a bank or macforums.

19. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Using the same fingerprint for all apps is NOT the same thing as using the same password. It would be the same if the perpetrator chopped off your thumb and used it to access all your apps.

20. TC03 macrumors 65816

It's not the exact same security. Having to use your finger again is simply checking if the phone is still being used by the person who unlocked it.