Touch ID speed variance/issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ino, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ino macrumors member

My wife and I both upgraded to the iPhone 5s and we're noticing that Touch ID appears to works faster on her 5s than mine. We added each others' fingerprints multiple times to both phones and we can both unlock faster with her phone.

Not sure if it makes a difference but she has an AT&T 64GB silver 5s, mine is a AT&T 64GB space gray 5s.

I did not set up a passcode on my previous phone so having to spend more time on the lock screen before is a bit of a drag. I know it's in the name of security and that I may be splitting hairs over a fraction of a second each time but it's hardly trivial considering how many times we take out our phones each day compounded over the life of the device.

I think the speed at which her phone unlocks is perfectly acceptable, while mine being a fraction of a second slower is borderline (un)acceptable.

Has anyone else run into issues/variances with Touch ID speed, or possibly have any tips/workarounds?

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

The more fingers you register, the slower the unlock. And if you register the same finger twice it just confuses touchid and can slow things down.

Remove all but one finger from your slower phone and see if that speeds up your unlocks.

Also, we're the phones setup from new or restored from a backup. Try resetting all settings and see if it's still slow. Don't worry, you won't loose any apps or data.

3. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

When I first got mine, it was slower, but now has sped up. Apple says it gets to know you as you go. Also, I've found that it has a harder time if your fingers have more oils on them (not saying you have dirty hands, it's just natural for some people to have more oily skin than others). My skin tends to be a little more oily than my friend, so it sometimes has a harder time recognizing my finger vs him on his. That's the nature of fingerprints.

It's not just iPhone, when I go to a fingerprint scanner coming back into the country the Global Entry kiosk takes an extra second and sometimes asks me to reposition my palm on the fingerprint scanner because it can't get a perfect read.... completely normal.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

There are also certain finger positions on my 5s where the phone will unlock ridiculously quickly and others that are a tad slower.