Touch ID stopped working :(

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimmyco2008, Oct 19, 2014.

1. jimmyco2008 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I have an iPhone 5s that was under warranty until about a week ago (ugh.), and I've noticed that Touch ID no longer works. Resting my finger on the home button doesn't even give me the "try again" error I get about half the time.

So I rebooted the phone, and now all my fingerprints are gone in the Touch ID settings, and I get an instant "Failed" (sorry, the operation was not successful. Please go back and try again.) error when trying to enroll.

If I had to guess, I'd say the fingerprint sensor ribbon cable came loose or something to that effect.... I'm jailbroken, and I'd like to stay that way, but I'll update to iOS 8 before I open it up and check the ribbon cable, I'd rather not take it apart at all.

Otherwise, I have a Genius Bar appointment in about a week (earliest I could get ANY time), maybe I'll get lucky with a free out-of-warranty replacement.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I've been Googling around, and it seems to only happen when people drop their phones, which is something I honestly have not done. I know some people lie on forums (as if we're the Apple Genius you'll be pleading to), but I'm being completely honest when I say, yes I've dropped my phone, but Touch ID has worked afterwards. Otherwise, I do take my phone in the shower with me, albeit on the other side of the bathroom, but it still gets pretty steamy, and my hands tend to be a little wet when I go to check it or whatever once I get out.

So maybe that's it, though I'd expect something like the Lightning port to stop working before the fingerprint sensor....

Anyway, I'll keep this thread updated with my findings as I try iOS 8 and taking it apart... and eventually taking it to a Genius.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Oh that sucks. Good luck!

My dads 5s had Touch ID stop working a few months ago. But it was under warranty and was replaced no problem at all

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

Your best bet is to reinstall iOS 8 afresh before coming to any conclusions. Also, try calling Applecare and seeing if they'd grant you that extra week of warranty. That said, if there are signs of the device having been dropped, you might be out of luck.

In any case, a fresh restore of the OS (don't restore backup at least the first time) will tell you if it's software or hardware.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So did you try adding your fingerprints again?
    It could be a software issue so if you bring it in the first thing they will have your do is restore and setup as new.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you purchase it using an Amex or equivalent with extended warranty coverage? If so, file a claim and they'll make you whole.

6. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Just checked my Amex statement- I actually did buy it with an Amex... I totally forgot about that. Thanks for the suggestion! Well, it's good to know I have that cushion, extra year of warranty, right?

I'll update to iOS 8 as soon as I can (tonight), and hopefully that will fix it, but if not, it looks like I'm not completely screwed.

Thanks for the suggestion to call Applecare ahead of time, I mean with Amex covering it, do you think I should plea with Applecare or just go straight to Amex? I want the least amount of hassle, and the least amount of time spent on this, but I'm not sure if Amex will have me at least *try* getting a replacement through Apple, like to they have to actually deny me a replacement before Amex will take care of it? Kind of a stupid question, but it'd be good to know before I start making phone calls.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I would go to Apple first. Not because of Amex, but because with it being just a week out of warranty, they might just replace it with no hassle.

If not, then I'd go the Amex route.

Good luck!

And let us know, okay?

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This. If Apple says no, pay for the out of warranty replacement then put in a call to Amex to file a claim saying you've already done the out of warranty repair. Amex will reimburse you in the next billing cycle.

9. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

Just installed iOS 8.0.2... Touch ID is still broken. I guess it's a hardware issue.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sucks.
    But at least you'll get a functioning replacement now for free.

11. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

You take your iPhone in the shower and have dropped it? :rolleyes: I think this is a problem with the user, not with the phone.

12. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

13. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

14. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

15. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    OP hope there's no moisture inside your phone or any of the liquid sensors tripped cause they wont replace it under warranty.
    Wonder if its something that shorted out due to some drops of water on the home button or steam and moisture from bringing it in the shower.
    Also you said you're out of warranty so you really need to be lucky to get another one for free.
    Hope you don't take showers with that also:D

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's correct. Amex can only reimburse you up to the price you paid plus tax so you'll have to cough up the $69 difference. That's why it's ideal to get at least the 32GB iPhone 5s (for $299 under contract) so you can be made whole by Amex plus some. Likewise, the OOW replacement cost for the iPhone 6 is $299 so it's best to get at least the 64 GB model (also $299 under contract).

Amex extended warranty won't work with at&t's Next plan with $0 down. You put $0 down and Amex will reimburse you $0.

18. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

That's clever, yet another reason to get the 32GB next time... Thanks for that info!

Anyway, there's closure- I stopped by my local Apple store right after they opened, they got me a walk-in appointment that was later in the day... And replaced the front display assembly (normally $129) in-store for free.... So I suppose Amex would have covered that worst-case. The Genius didn't say anything about me being just out of warranty, but he did go and get a manager to approve the repair.

Obviously they didn't find any water damage, but I'm playing it safe from now on. Thanks again to all those who replied with helpful information, I'm sure it'll go on to help others who are in a similar boat in the future.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Very nice of Apple to replace the front display assembly two weeks out of warranty free of charge! This shows it isn't necessarily true that having AC+ is required for getting preferential treatment.

20. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

i would suggest using the excuse of "this stopped working prior to warranty ending, but it was impossible to get an appointment"

21. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hey man your pants are on fire!

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple already replaced the front display assembly free of charge two weeks out of warranty just from the OP's being honest. Had the OP tried your lame excuse, the Genius would have probably rebuffed him and not bothered to seek a manager's approval for the courtesy repair.

23. jimmyco2008 thread starter macrumors regular

Found a dead (stuck?) pixel. Of course.

I'm lucky to have Touch ID working, I'm just concerned about when I go to sell it, kinda have to say there's a dead pixel, it's in the middle of the screen.

24. KuchiKopi macrumors regular

KuchiKopi

It's unlikely they'll even let you return it, most likely the water damage sensor has been triggered.