Touch ID to lock individual apps

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TheSacredSoul, Sep 16, 2014.

1. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, Touch ID works for unlocking the phone, appstore purchases and Apply Pay. Why not the ability to lock individual apps like the Photo album? I read the 5S could do that with a jb app. So my question is, without being jailbroken, there's no way to lock individual apps in iOS?

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Nope. No way to lock individual default apps but you might know with iOS 8 third-party developers can use it with their own apps.

3. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, just read about that. My primary concern is the photos app though. Guess I'll just wait for iP6 to be jailbroken. Thank you for the reply!

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

5. xcrunner macrumors regular

Hmm I wonder if the private photo album app I use will implement touchid over the passcode. More secure!

6. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

I saw this picture a few times on Instagram and online. So it could be a feature in iOS 8 because people saying it is.

[​IMG]

7. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

It's not a feature of iOS 8.

8. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

How are you sure ?

9. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

Because I'm running iOS 8. :apple:

10. Shaqq macrumors regular

Shaqq

So am I but it could be something that will be added after IOS is publicly released.

11. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

I recall reading that one of the enterprise features allowing locking of the default apps if no passcode was on the device after a reboot. Hopefully this will be expanded to allow users to lock selected apps in 8.1.

12. TheSacredSoul thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do not understand why Apple isn't allowing this? I am no programmer but I don't think it will take much work to write such a code.

13. moonman239 macrumors 68000

There is Guided Access. As far as I know, when it's activated, it will require a password before allowing whoever's using the phone to exit the app that is in the foreground.

I have a question for those who have TouchID-enabled phones that are running the iOS8 GM or the public release: Can you use TouchID instead of a password?

14. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

Why do you need to lock your Photos app?
    And why isn't a passcode/thumbprint enough to keep your enemies out of your phone? :confused:

15. AlaricRiver macrumors newbie

If you are talking about general third party apps, my private bank updated their app this morning to enable Touch ID instead of a password.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I think they are worried about their friends. ;)