Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Does anyone know if screen protectors will be okay to use with the Touch ID?

You don't need a screen protector with touch ID. The home button is sapphire crystal, which required 300 times more force to cause the same damage as the quartz glass of the screen. You are not going to scratch your home button unless you involve some crazy circumstances.

Sapphire crystal is amazing stuff, I wish the whole phone was made of it.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I've never had a screen protector that covered the home button. Most, if not all, screen protectors always have cut-outs for the earpiece, front camera (sometimes the sensor as well) and the home button.

this. no screen protector covers the home button.

ebackwardse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2013
Clarification

I was referring to if the screen protector is not perfectly aligned. So, maybe the hole cut out for the home button cannot be 100% perfectly lined up with the home button. I am wondering if it would then have an affect.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was referring to if the screen protector is not perfectly aligned. So, maybe the hole cut out for the home button cannot be 100% perfectly lined up with the home button. I am wondering if it would then have an affect.

Have never had a screen protector cutout not align properly with the home button. If you get one that partially covers the home button, send it back as defective and get a better one.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
Don't see why not. Current screen protectors will probably cover that ring around the button but I'm sure future revisions will fix that.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
It will work, most of the companies are making the screen protectors home button cut wider :)

scho52386

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio

Jake0604

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
I'm sure the screen protector makers will adapt them to work with the new iPhone, or else they would be out of business.

Brenz

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Did anyone get an answer for this? I am wondering this as well. I had a screen protector that came with a home button protector separate for my iP4.

Or let's say that I want the Otterbox case with the screen protector built in or one of those waterproof cases. Like these:
http://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defe...=1379542120&sr=8-3&keywords=iphone+5+otterbox

and

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeproof-iPh...2190&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+5+waterproof+case

Surely its common sense? Old screen protectors will most likely cover the capacitive ring around the new home button so the Touch ID sensor wont work.

Same if you use a case that is going to cover the button plus old cases will most likely not cater for the new camera and dual LED flash.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Surely its common sense? Old screen protectors will most likely cover the capacitive ring around the new home button so the Touch ID sensor wont work.

Same if you use a case that is going to cover the button plus old cases will most likely not cater for the new camera and dual LED flash.

And this is why I'll wait until some poor customer with one tries it out first, than I may buy ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Wouldn't common sense dictate that a screen protector that covers a capacitive screen work that's covering a capacitive ring?

I've never used a screen protector that was capacitive touch proof anyway. :)

I agree though if the screen protector or case entirely covers the button then there will be functionality issues. I'm thinking lifeproof, otterbox, etc...

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I think the home button is the same dimension as the iPhone 5, even with the touch id. Screen protectors should work. I ordered an otterbox commuter case too. The camera opening looks large enough to fit the dual led.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Unless u buy a cheapy one that says 5/5s compatible (they are selling you old stock 5).

Wouldn't common sense dictate that a screen protector that covers a capacitive screen work that's covering a capacitive ring?

I've never used a screen protector that was capacitive touch proof anyway. :)

I agree though if the screen protector or case entirely covers the button then there will be functionality issues. I'm thinking lifeproof, otterbox, etc...

I think the home button is the same dimension as the iPhone 5, even with the touch id. Screen protectors should work. I ordered an otterbox commuter case too. The camera opening looks large enough to fit the dual led.

I bought some Tech Defense HD Clear 5/5s/5c screen protectors. Either they will work with it, or I'll tell them they need to send me some that do, so I'm covered. I'm hoping they'll work, but I would be surprised if they do. Figured for 5 bucks I may as well find out though.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I bought some Tech Defense HD Clear 5/5s/5c screen protectors. Either they will work with it, or I'll tell them they need to send me some that do, so I'm covered. I'm hoping they'll work, but I would be surprised if they do. Figured for 5 bucks I may as well find out though.

I have a good feeling it will. The home button itself looks like it was cut smaller to supplement the ring that goes around it. Of course I have no way of confirming until tomorrow.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I have a good feeling it will. The home button itself looks like it was cut smaller to supplement the ring that goes around it. Of course I have no way of confirming until tomorrow.

That'd be cool. Does the ring around the button depress with the button do we know?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You don't need a screen protector with touch ID. The home button is sapphire crystal
...but the screen is not. As stated above, most screen protectors don't cover the home button anyway. The choice to use a screen protector is as subjective as it ever was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.